Arkansas wants to ban all classroom mentions of Howard Zinn (teachers, get your free books!)

They’re pretty cheap in the paper back version. Another reason I’ll assign it… cheaper than others history textbooks. Though I might start using the American Yawp instead:

http://www.americanyawp.com/index.html

7 Likes

Almost anything short of Scientology and fundie biblical tracts would be a better read than Marx (and yes, I have read Mwrx.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have to agree with him, but it turns out I do.

Marx, not so much

2 Likes

How about Zinn reading Marx?

6 Likes

For anyone just checking Zinn’s work, look into Some Truths Are Not Self Evident as well.

https://zinnedproject.org/materials/some-truths-are-not-self-evident/

8 Likes

Wellllll…looks like we got ourselves a reader

11 Likes

Well, ya gotta give Joyce credit as well for being just annoying to read. :upside_down_face:

But seriously, Zinn is great. His hypothesis are well spelled out with copious backup, which means you can agree or not agree based on merit.

Of course these days I literally, not figuratively, get all my political and socio economic opinions from XKCD.

10 Likes

Is “ban” the right word? Aren’t they just removing it from the public school curriculum? Calling this a “ban” seems a little like a creationist claiming the Bible is banned in schools. Or maybe I’m missing something?

Not fond of Zinn, but banning books is always wrong.

And global warming could do that!

3 Likes

Howard Zoutt?

1 Like

From the title of the bill:

AN ACT TO PROHIBIT A PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT OR OPEN- ENROLLMENT PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL FROM INCLUDING IN ITS CURRICULUM OR COURSE MATERIALS FOR A PROGRAM OF STUDY BOOKS OR ANY OTHER MATERIAL AUTHORED BY OR CONCERNING HOWARD ZINN; AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

Doesn’t sound like a benign “not including in the curriculum.”

14 Likes

Over here in the UK, I got kicked out of my university christian union for having my own interpretation of parts of the bible (lower case, no respect for it anymore). My ideas about the drunken joke Jesus makes after turning water into a wine as a Jewish wedding, the issues with the translation from ancient Hebrew to modern English of that commandment that requires us not to end lives, plus the observation that the book of Job has the exact same structure as a Greek play and doesn’t make any sense as a historical document… yeah, valid criticism isn’t valid when you’re talking about the bible. Because bible.

8 Likes

Arkansas: Tut-tut-tut! What ‘chu readin’ for?

5 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

Teach the controversy.

1 Like

She assumed your syllabus looked like:

Week 4: Read Howard Zinn
Week 5: Overthrow The Government
Week 6: BWAHAHAHAHA ALL HAIL SATAN THEIR SOULS WILL BE MINE

18 Likes

That’s week 9. You have to wait until after Midterms and the final withdrawal date.

17 Likes

Yes. Ban is the correct word.

7 Likes