Arkansas wants to ban all classroom mentions of Howard Zinn (teachers, get your free books!)

I honestly have no idea.

2 Likes

The “righteous conservative students turn in their bullying librul perfessers” databases that I’ve skimmed seem, contrary to what they claim, to not actually be based on anything the professors have said or done in class, but because they pissed off some conservative writer (either through some personal interaction or because of something political they said or did outside the classroom context). So I guess as long as she wasn’t antagonized sufficient to personally name you in her writings, you’re safe…

5 Likes

Is that tripe :grey_question:

What rich irony if it is actually true that, in some language, a word that is pronounced the same as “bible” means tripe.

6 Likes

Yes. More specifically, it’s bible tripe. That is not a bad translation, but its proper English name.

7 Likes

My day is complete!

I learned something that fits neatly into the intersection of Foodie and Anti-fundamentalist.

:smile:

8 Likes

Instead of banning all classroom mentions of Howard Zinn’s book, I propose instead that it be referred to as “The Forbidden History: You Don’t Want to Read That – It is Forbidden.”

6 Likes

I’ve long thought that it’s too bad we can’t convert bullshit and jive into some sort of usable fuel (e.g. like we do with methane).

5 Likes

Blackboard.

6 Likes

Used to. Now, given Ayn Rand, the Cato Institute, the Mormons and a number of other thinkers, I would grant that the US designs and patents the best fuckwits in the world. But you seem to have exported the manufacturing to the UK.

2 Likes

Of course I can’t speak to this woman’s intent, but entirely possible she was trying to rattle your cage (she obviously didn’t know you!).

For a while here that was a tactic the T-goppers used to try and add gravitas to their shenanigans; most people will happily assist with a request like that, but will get nervous when the administration has to answer formally.

3 Likes

Which are manifold. If you can find a real interlinear translation, (not the fake back-translated crap they sell at the Christian bookstores), you’ll be amazed at what the bible really says (or could be saying depending on the translation).

3 Likes

Minor nitpick: Ayn Rand was Russian… although she lived most of her life in the US.

1 Like

Don’t forget active (and malicious) mistranslations on the parts of the Christians as well, like how the 22nd Psalm was deliberately mistranslated after the fact the refer to Jesus.

As for interlinear translations, I recommend the Stone Edition Chumash.

2 Likes

Your post “is like butter!”[

5 Likes

THIS! You can find it on the menu at most places serving a variety of pho.

1 Like

That was Schroedinger’s Syllabus.

7 Likes

Read my post again; I did not say “Native born US citizens” but “The US…” which does not exclude immigrants. I too can nitpick.

1 Like

Wow! I miss you guys. :cry:

6 Likes

Ooh, very nice! :grinning:

Any other recommendations? I used to have a wonderful tome that was Hebrew-Greek-English (and a large part of every page was notes from different translators about the relative merits of one meaning over another), but I lost it and can’t find another copy. :frowning:

Well, what are you interested in? Because Artscroll is usually my go-to option for seferim (books), but there are others out there.