Arlington National Cemetery is the only monument we need to Robert E. Lee

You supposed incorrectly there, too. Quit while you’re ahead.

1 Like

If it were so simple, then we wouldn’t need as many lawyers. Especially when threats are indirectly made, with smug and insincere claims that it wasn’t threats. Thus the wording, as I mean “only in the most strict interpretation of the letter and not the spirit.”

5 Likes

Again, Monck.

No exile, just one promotion after the other from both sides.

The man must have been the most amazing bull-shitter.

1 Like

This, a thousand times over.

5 Likes

He’s just an Alcibiades wannabe.

2 Likes

Well if we’re going into strict definitions, then there are no ‘real’ Nazis anymore.

I can get behind your definition of tolerate - it’s just that whenever people talk about tolerating the KKK or neo-Nazis, it always seems to be in the context of telling people who want to oppose them that they shouldn’t.

Somehow the “It’s their right to free speech” people only seem to really come out when people oppose the racists.

Your ‘toleration’ does not need to go as far as telling other people not to say nasty things about the poor racists or try to stop them marching.

3 Likes

It all hinges on the definition of “oppose”. I oppose Nazism, but if they don’t hit me or mine, I don’t hit them.

1 Like

Losers, but more importantly traitors.

3 Likes

Popper called this the paradox of tolerance.

If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

Or to put it more succinctly, intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance.

That’s a nobel position to take. Just try to keep in mind that it was not the pacifists who stopped Hitler and his Nazis. While many pacifists and anti-violence groups working against the Nazi regime saved thousands from the death camps, they did not close them. The work of the pacifist is important and needed just as the work of those willing to return the violence of racism back upon the racists. Both should recognize the need for the other in order to effect the change needed to end the violence.

2 Likes

Well, on that basis if they hit you or yours, you’re happy to hit them.

Some people have a wider definition of “theirs” than you seem to. Where does yours end? Second cousins? Aunts twice removed?

I’ve pointed out that your concern about the free speech of racists doesn’t need to go so far as to tell people not to oppose them - and your response is to do it again.

Therefore I think I’m free to conclude you do think you need to tell people not to oppose racists.

2 Likes

Tell that to the mass graves outside the ovens.

For what little it’s worth, fnordius is right.

Plenty of people killed in Dachau, they weren’t gassed though. Those that were gassed were taken elsewhere for that to be done.

What went on in Dachau was arguably worse.

3 Likes

I have spent plenty of time at Dachau as a tourist. There are gas showers. There are ovens. There are mass graves of people processed through them.

I’m not going to argue other than to say you don’t need gas chambers to kill lots of people.

Neglect, starvation, over work, medical experimentation, deliberate infection with disease, shootings, disease will kill and did kill plenty.

The gas chambers always get people’s attention but I think the focus on them as the means of extermination rather takes away from the horror of what else was going on.

3 Likes

I was there last week. And I did pay attention to the “Brausebad” as I walked through them.

Most at Dachau died of malnourishment, were worked to death, tortured in the name of medicinal research, hung, shot, or simply because some sadistic bastard wanted to have some fun. Records claimed that the shower was never used, but eyewitnesses said that the SS did use it for testing purposes.

5 Likes

I get it; you use Facebook. No wonder you think there are hordes of people out there with bizarre opinions.

Most people I meet in daily life think about less exotic matters such as sports and paying the bills. The ones who think about outlawing George Washington have, for the most part, learned to keep it to themselves. This is the result of a process called socialization. It does not exist on Facebook.

Neither do they. But FB gives them the platform to spout off on things they don’t fully think through or repeat memes.

To be clear no on on my FB has suggested this. That was seen on other media outlets (news show interviews). Though I see people using this view as a reasoning to not get rid of CSA stuff, slippery slope. Which I too love a slippery slope argument. But I generally apply it ot the authority of the government vs what society finds acceptable.

1 Like

When my son was about two and I said, “no, you can’t have ice cream for dinner,” he replied, “oh so I can’t ever eat anything ever again?”

The slippery slope move seems to be hard-coded into the human genome. I’ll bet Noam Chomsky could prove it with algebra.

4 Likes

These are from a day or two I spent there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/happyexposure/albums/72157602201989774

2 Likes