Arlington National Cemetery is the only monument we need to Robert E. Lee

Well, on that basis if they hit you or yours, you’re happy to hit them.

Some people have a wider definition of “theirs” than you seem to. Where does yours end? Second cousins? Aunts twice removed?

I’ve pointed out that your concern about the free speech of racists doesn’t need to go so far as to tell people not to oppose them - and your response is to do it again.

Therefore I think I’m free to conclude you do think you need to tell people not to oppose racists.

2 Likes

Tell that to the mass graves outside the ovens.

For what little it’s worth, fnordius is right.

Plenty of people killed in Dachau, they weren’t gassed though. Those that were gassed were taken elsewhere for that to be done.

What went on in Dachau was arguably worse.

3 Likes

I have spent plenty of time at Dachau as a tourist. There are gas showers. There are ovens. There are mass graves of people processed through them.

I’m not going to argue other than to say you don’t need gas chambers to kill lots of people.

Neglect, starvation, over work, medical experimentation, deliberate infection with disease, shootings, disease will kill and did kill plenty.

The gas chambers always get people’s attention but I think the focus on them as the means of extermination rather takes away from the horror of what else was going on.

3 Likes

I was there last week. And I did pay attention to the “Brausebad” as I walked through them.

Most at Dachau died of malnourishment, were worked to death, tortured in the name of medicinal research, hung, shot, or simply because some sadistic bastard wanted to have some fun. Records claimed that the shower was never used, but eyewitnesses said that the SS did use it for testing purposes.

5 Likes

I get it; you use Facebook. No wonder you think there are hordes of people out there with bizarre opinions.

Most people I meet in daily life think about less exotic matters such as sports and paying the bills. The ones who think about outlawing George Washington have, for the most part, learned to keep it to themselves. This is the result of a process called socialization. It does not exist on Facebook.

Neither do they. But FB gives them the platform to spout off on things they don’t fully think through or repeat memes.

To be clear no on on my FB has suggested this. That was seen on other media outlets (news show interviews). Though I see people using this view as a reasoning to not get rid of CSA stuff, slippery slope. Which I too love a slippery slope argument. But I generally apply it ot the authority of the government vs what society finds acceptable.

1 Like

When my son was about two and I said, “no, you can’t have ice cream for dinner,” he replied, “oh so I can’t ever eat anything ever again?”

The slippery slope move seems to be hard-coded into the human genome. I’ll bet Noam Chomsky could prove it with algebra.

4 Likes

These are from a day or two I spent there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/happyexposure/albums/72157602201989774

2 Likes

Didn’t some assholes steal that for scrap? Didn’t they find it, though?

They did steal it, and it was recovered. A replica is in its place, and the original is part of the museum exhibit in the one remaining original building.

It is a strange feeling to be an American living in Munich, I admit. To see these relics, and now to think about the plantation called Arlington that until recently, I only knew was a cemetery. And both remind me that there is no such thing as a Master Race.

1 Like

My understanding was the Jourhouse, the processing center, and the solitary confinement buildings were still original. The ovens, as well. There were various guard houses and warehouses that looked to be original. The mass living incarceration bunks were replicas?

1 Like

When one of the traitor’s supporters can explain to me the state’s rights argument in light of secession documents mentioning inadequate enforcement of the fugitive slave act, then I’ll hear them out. Honestly though, the traitors were very clear about slavery being their driving cause.

4 Likes

How can anyone be ahead when you label the daughter of a slave as a
"smallminded bigot" because she has a different perspective than you?

I was quoting Angela Nye because it was her argument and it didn’t sound
ridiculous to me. To summarize:
On the one hand, we have a group of people who fought* for the right to
buy, sell, rape, and murder my ancestors.
On the other hand, we have a group of people who fought* for the right to
buy, sell, rape, and murder my ancestors.
When we go about taking the monuments down for one group, why not the other?

• One group fought verbally and won, the other group fought physically and
    lost.

I was pointing out that blanket dismissal appears close-minded (illiberal)
to me and does a disservice to Ms Nye and other descendants of slaves who
might have an argument we can disagree with but that does not deserve
ridicule.

And yeah, I am against authoritarianism–we have too much evidence showing
just how evil we can become when unfettered.

I suspect if I’d ever visited Dachau I’d be just as affected. Sadly, I
suspect the derangement of most neo-nazis, etc. would leave them untouched
by either.

I am just not the one doing that, please stop now.

1 Like

Well he didn’t lose a war, didn’t he? I mean he ended up on winning side two times.

1 Like

Yes, the barracks are replicas, and the bunks are designed to reflect the three different eras in the 12 years that the camp was run.

Now, next time you are in Munich, let me know and I will gladly show you the city as I know it, the history as well as my favourite haunts. There is much more to Munich than the Oktoberfest and the Nazi history.

3 Likes

Look, just relax and stop beating a dead horse. This is too much like some debate club act to score points and I just am not interested.

2 Likes