Army lied about brother of Michael Flynn's role in National Guard's weak response to Capitol attack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/21/army-lied-about-brother-of-michael-flynns-role-in-national-guards-weak-response-to-capitol-attack.html

11 Likes

Whelp, that’s an dishonorable discharge that’s gonna happen in the near future.

26 Likes

A family of traitors. I wonder how much Vovik pays the brother.

25 Likes

Must be interesting to hold security clearances with a traitor spy conspiracy nut as a brother.

20 Likes

It’s an old boy network. Rules are for other people.

16 Likes

Don’t hold your breath.

9 Likes

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a commissioned officer can’t be dishonorably discharged, only enlisted can. Ultimately, the consequences are similar, but to @FSogol’s point, the officers’ corps is a self-protecting white supremacist-supporting structure that is designed to ensure that it is very difficult to suffer actual consequences like a common piece of enlisted cannon fodder would.

Of course, President Biden is now the Commander in Chief and can do damn well as he pleases. Let’s hope his promises yesterday to scourge this disease are followed through on.

Edited to add back quotes that got dropped.

EETA: Oh, and…

13 Likes

Nice example of inferred guilt by association. People deserve to be judged on their own actions - not those of their relatives. Michael Flynn should still be in prison - but that doesn’t mean his brother should be. Even reading the WaPo article, there is no suggestion that he did anything but listen into part of a phone call and expect action to be taken. (Which is not to say that the US Army haven’t badly mishandled the comms here…)

2 Likes

Did Alexander Vindman’s brother get the same consideration?

If, Flynn Bro actually did what he is suspected of doing, hell yes.

Vindman was fired because he did the right thing. Vindman’s brother was fired because he was the brother of someone who did the right thing.

Flynn was fired because (he is crazed and) he did the wrong thing. Flynn’s brother will be fired because he (is also crazed and) also did the wrong thing.

7 Likes

Are you really suggesting that the way Trump handled the Vindman case, or anything for that matter, is a pattern for Biden to follow? Or something anyone ought to emulate?

3 Likes

So much for the whole West Point mantra of:

" I will not lie, cheat, steal , or tolerate those who do." …

6 Likes

If he purposefully dragged his feet on getting the guard in to protect the US government from a violent insurrection, then he very much DID commit an act of treason against the government - which yes, is an actual crime. There needs to be an investigation into why he did so.

20 Likes

Then why did the Pentagon lie about it? This needs investigation.

9 Likes

I did not know that Flynn’s role had a brother.

5 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before, but Flynn’s family comes from the island where I live. His mother was my real estate agent once upon a time. They’re still first-class assholes stirring up shit falsely in the neighborhood even now - here’s an article from the very local rag about last week’s horseshit:

9 Likes

I hear Leavenworth is kind of serene this time of year.

5 Likes

Treason should rate higher than just a dishonorable discharge. What happened to the Rosenbergs?

2 Likes

His name needs to go on a long list of people that need to be investigated; this was nothing less than an attempted coup that barely failed because the mob had no competent/clear leadership.
People need to go to prison for this, & not just the foot-soldiers that invaded the Capitol. So do their enablers, financiers, & inciters.

10 Likes

Nope. Just plain old guilt.

4 Likes

Yeah but… forgive and forget, unity, etc. Why are the Democrats so mean to people who just want to checks notes over throw the democratically elected government?!? /s

3 Likes