Ars Technica's dunk on Gwyneth Paltrow's Netflix series is the best dunk of all

Idiots gotta idiot.

Simple as that.

1 Like

It’s a pessary:

4 Likes

Or troche. That works too.

2 Likes

For a second, I thought you were comparing Maggie to Gwennyth, not Beth Mole- and I was gearing up for a fight. Then common sense prevailed.

7 Likes

Everything, I need your trust on this, everything ever is about Gwyneth’s vagina.

8 Likes

If Alex Jones sells the same crap, only re-badged, what does he do with the jade eg, wait, no, never mind, nope nope nope!

2 Likes

If only people understood that a surgeon merely combines the skills of a butcher with those of a tailor. And that‘s about it.

They never talk to patients, they don‘t contribute to the diagnosis, and they mostly don‘t do a follow-up after the surgery is finished.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s them being surgeons in general that disqualifies them. I think it’s the fact that they hyperfocus so deeply on just one system that they tunnelvision there. And end up just not keeping up with any GP related literature.

And then the real trouble starts when they want to advise people on all these products when the last time someone like Oz took an actual university course on nutrition and diet was probably a year that had two 9s in it. So he remembers fuckall, and we’ve actually advanced our scientific knowledge a lot. But that doesn’t stop him from taking dietary supplement vendors’ word at face value when they read him ad-copy.

4 Likes

It takes a certain kind to become a surgeon, as it’s highly specialized manual work with very little contact to actual patients, and there is no need to see the bigger picture, so most of them don’t.

2 Likes

A surgeon friend of mine calls himself ‘a medical carpenter’. He mainly does hip/knee replacements, which involves a lot of screwing and sawing.

6 Likes

heh, The University of Washington has several public TV channels here in the Seattle Metro area. I remember spending an afternoon sick when I was 13 or 14 watching a hip replacement on TV and being horrifically fascinated by the sheer force and duration of hammering involved. Literally beating a pin into the bone.

They were just using a plastic mallet on the metal rod. I’m sure these days they’d have figured out that a slide hammer is a better option.

1 Like

Yeah, well, Paltrow DOES schlep candles…

…With the (supposed) scent of her vagina. Yes, really.

A plastic mallet is a LOT easier to clean/autoclave, perhaps that’s a factor.

1 Like

That’s orthopedics. The joke in the field is that to qualify for an ortho residency, you have to be able to bench press your own weight and spell “keflex.” But they are incredibly well compensated for their efforts. Unfortunately, the truth is that medicine is incredibly complex and detailed and most of us can barely stay up with developments in our own fields. The idea of trying to stay current in something you don’t use routinely is not realistic. I can give you the cutting edge research in peds, but ask me about oncology or cardiology, I am better than a Google search, but only a bit. The human brain has its limits.

12 Likes

As someone whose wife has fully bought into ‘alternative medicine’ - I’ve often contemplated the root cause of why these things are so popular in the West. I think I’ve landed on 3 reasons:

1. Some people need attention. If they are not getting it from their doctors or partners - they will seek it elsewhere (at often great expense). If I was to go back in time, I would have spent time reading about therapeutic massage, rehab, meditation and applying that to my partner to avoid future quackery.

2. Related to the above, western medicine in practice does not supply patients the right amount of attention to feel cared for. Try getting an hour with your GP, but an hour with a Natropath - no problem! This is a tougher nut to crack due to supply and demand. The physician who posted above can correct me but I think Preventative Medicine (which is more complex than people realize) is the key.

3. If you got this far - thanks. I think the 3rd cause is simply human nature. When you hear something you don’t like and someone else has some miraculous option - people will generally turn off the logic centre and try it - especially when fear has a role. Snakeoil salesman have likely existed since the dawn of civilization and will continue to do so until science eventually triumphs (barring an apocalypse). And since wanting to believe can affect perceived medical outcomes - there will always be rubes at ready to endorse said quackery.

So - maybe I’m wrong but dont even get me started on reiki, healing crystals, aromatherapy, homeopathy, or any other mumbo jumbo as I’ve seen it all first hand and can confirm I’m much poorer because of it.

11 Likes

Do said candles smell like new money?

Can’t say. I’m pretty sure I’ve never craved the smell of burnt vagina =x …

How can Paltrow make a candle smell like her vagina but she doesn’t know what the vagina is???

And you really don’t want to burn that candle at both ends.

Truth:

5 Likes