Art student dumped 32 tons of carrots outside university. It was art.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/art-student-dumped-32-tons-of-carrots-outside-university-it-was-art.html

3 Likes

“It was art.” You know what? Sometimes 32 tons of carrots is just 32 tons of carrots.

23 Likes

Needs more duct tape.

6 Likes

Um… and less carrot.

6 Likes

Remember:

Anything can be art.

That doesn’t mean it is GOOD art.

16 Likes

Seems like a fairly effective commentary at the very least. I’ve seen it popping up around the internet and that these were unwanted carrots (according to the linked article a third of grown produce is deemed unsuitable for sale each year) that will be put to use later makes it less wasteful than deemed.

Sometimes a 32 ton pile of carrots makes the point better than a spreadsheet.

Is it art? I don’t really care anymore, that debate was beat into the ground long before I was even born. It’s something that makes a statement and that’s enough for me.

13 Likes

The artist should eat those carrots and package the results as “Artist’s Sh*t 2020.” A bit derivative, but what else does the year 2020 deserve?

1 Like

Friend of an Art Historian (upon seeing that an ‘Artist’ received $10,000 for nailing his Grandmother’s quilt to a piece a plywood and splashing a bit of red paint on it): “uh… so what defines art as Art?” “Any product designed to instill an emotional response.” “…including annoyance?” “Perhaps especially so.”

7 Likes

Do you want Night of the Lepus? Because that’s how you get Night of the Lepus.

10 Likes

Should’ve put a single parsnip in there for a sort of “Where’s Wally/Waldo” vibe. But what do I know? :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

I think it was Bruno Mars. Something about filming a sequel video for 24 Carrot Magic…

Anyone else feeling a bit peckish?

1 Like

I don’t know art, but I knows what I likes.

bugs

10 Likes

“Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?”

4 Likes

I expect that pile is easy to see in the dark.

1 Like

At my old campus, the visual arts folks had an event where they scattered a dozen shipping containers around campus, and gave each one to a team of students to make art in and from them. Turn it into a micro-gallery, turn it into an installation piece, whatever.

One of them decided to go for a glitter theme. You literally waded through glitter to get in.

It fucked up every research lab on campus for a month. Glitter got into everything.

10 Likes

What, no carrot cakes? Think of the children!

3 Likes

3 Likes

It was much better received than project by the art student who dumped 32 tons of sticks.

7 Likes

Guess what the carrot-dumping student will do if he does not get a first! :wink: