Someone ate another $120,000 banana artwork taped to a wall at museum (video)

Originally published at: Someone ate another $120,000 banana artwork taped to a wall at museum (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

They really need to make an NFT of this piece. It’s the only way to prevent this from continuing to happen /s

12 Likes

And thus the Duct-Taped to Walls (or “tenaces muros”) artistic period was born. (with the use of magnets to become the “Neo” reformation era)

6 Likes

I suspect that it is supposed to happen, and the consumption of the banana by a random stranger is part of the art. Not sure if the artist should be entitled to royalties, though.

11 Likes

Oh, I agree. I was proposing an NFT as a solution to a problem that does not exist. It’s what they are for, after all!

11 Likes

I mean, If someone tells you that’s a $120k banana, you’re definitely going to be pretty compelled to wonder how it tastes. I’ll admit to being intrigued by those $20/berry Oishii strawberries…

6 Likes

With food banks everywhere, leaving a banana laying around and expecting it not to be eaten is a bit naive.

5 Likes

Well, it isn’t the original banana, and it isn’t the original Gaffer tape, and it isn’t the original wall; but it is the original idea… though it doesn’t actually seem particularly original. How many artworks do we need that call in to question the meaning of the concepts of “art” and “work”? Wasn’t this all rather done to death by the Dadaists?

10 Likes

"What is Death?

As we consider the banana turning brown… "

Goat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

Is the aim of art to make money and cajole the nice nice
bourgeois?

3 Likes

Just look at this $120,000 banana

Just look at it

13 Likes

It’s fine though, as they can replace the banana (which I’m sure they regularly do already) and the tape, if necessary, and it’s still exactly the same work.

4 Likes

22 Likes

You may not look at it and say “this is art”.
But I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t see a banana duck taped to a wall and say “this is lunch”.

5 Likes

Is that normally how you store your bananas, though? :thinking:

1 Like

Quack! Quack! No, but seriously, just the very thought that someone might actually eat it is all part of the art.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’d eat that.

14 Likes

So there are no consequences for destroying this piece of art by eating it, you say…? I can see it engender a tidal wave of visitors falling all over each other to be the first to eat the banana when the gallery doors open each day. The less it’s art, the more it gains meaning.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what I find more disturbing. - the thought that that just exists on the internet already, or the thought that you had a banana duck and some duct tape around…

5 Likes

Check It Out Would You GIF by chelsiekenyon

6 Likes