Someone ate another $120,000 banana artwork taped to a wall at museum (video)

Neither. I used that as a prompt for DALL-E

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s electrical tape. /ducks

8 Likes

But what if someone pulled the banana off the wall and attacked me with it? I’m entitled to defend myself, am I not?

13 Likes

Turns out it’s imaginary tape! And that Dall-E doesn’t know the difference between electrical tape and duct tap. To which, “of course it doesn’t”

(On closer examination it might be gaffers tape too… It’s definitely textured)

4 Likes

3 Likes
  1. It’s tape.
  2. It’s on a duck.
  3. Case closed.

(and don’t call me ducks)

4 Likes

Worth mentioning I think is that the (inaccurately portrayed) tape being referred to here as “duct tape” is, seriously, called “duck tape”.

4 Likes

That’s bullshit, it doesn’t even work on bananas!!

6 Likes

Yeah it does. The bananas you use stop aging.

7 Likes

Nice technicality :+1:

7 Likes

They made a tape out of ducks? Bastards!!

3 Likes

ikr?

2 Likes

I’m more concerned about the folks who will use this as precedent that other art is for eating. Anything by Edvard Munch is just asking for it.

2 Likes

There is a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape, but why on earth would you use the more expensive brand name in a $120k piece of art? That’s just leaving money on the table!

3 Likes

Who or what determines the $ value of this piece of art?

Did someone purchase this particular (now former) work of art for $120k?

Maybe the museum paid the artist $120k to recreate his work on-site?

Does the museum charge admission to see this work of art?

That’s what showed up on the self-checkout when they keyed 4011 in.

3 Likes

Banana taped to wall worth $120,000. I have a new idea for how to increase the value of my house before I sell it.

3 Likes

There’s always money in the banana standing taped to a wall.

5 Likes
  1. The artist and their representative sets the price. A purchaser agrees to it, or haggles it down, and that’s the value, which will then fluctuate accordingly based on obscurity or notoriety.

2. (Middle part of the question first) It’s still an extant work regardless of banana ingestion. The work itself is not the banana or tape, but a certificate signed by Cattelan, that says the holder has the right to duct tape a banana to a wall and legitimately call it “Comedian by Maurizio Cattelan.” (This is the nature of conceptual art. Sol LeWitt’s wall murals only really exist as sets of plans that museums lease or trade, then paint their wall as instructed, then paint over at exhibition’s end.) I believe five someones purchased Comedian. As I recall, there was an initial offering of three certificates, then he added a couple more when it proved popular. Something like that.

3. HAHAAHHAHAhahah… No.

4. Depends on the museum.

1 Like

Oh my god! So it’s already an analog NFT!?

3 Likes