Arthouse Muppets for Inktober

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/22/arthouse-muppets-for-inktober.html

3 Likes

So what are the illustrations from after the headline? Fahrenheit 451 & Miller’s Crossing?

2 Likes

I don’t believe I’ve heard of La Jetée before. Worth hunting down?

3 Likes

The captions mentioned a bunch:

Blue Velvet
Elephant Man
Mulholland Drive
Japanese batshit crazy horror film House (Hausu)
Kurosawa drama Ikiru (Great movie, doesn’t get enough notice)
La Jetee (the inspiration for 12 Monkeys)
Ringu

3 Likes

Its a strange one. If you liked 12 Monkeys, it is a sort of remake of the plot of La Jetee. But it is told in still photos with a slightly moving camera at times. It takes a little patience. But it is short.

2 Likes

The first two are from Fahrenheit 451 and Dead Man

4 Likes

These are delightful. Makes me wish I knew how to draw.

2 Likes

Judge for yourself:

It’s a sparsely told slideshow, really, with some notable exceptions of moving image. 12 Monkeys expanded on it enormously, to the point that La Jetée can really just be called an inspiration for the later film. But it’s an interesting watch on that basis, and short.

4 Likes

To be clear, 12 Monkeys is the remake - And I agree with what you say about La Jetee. More interesting than entertaining, but - interesting

2 Likes

I pretty much always raise an eyebrow and go into critical/analytical mode whenever I see ‘for sale’ mashups that reference popular culture… but these totally work for me!

2 Likes

Yes!

(Note that the Quay Brothers ‘recycled’ the La Jetée score in their feature-length film “The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes”; that’s how I learned about La Jetée.)

2 Likes

Damn - I wish the Wings of Desire one was better…

I’m waiting for the shot-for-shot remake of La Jetée in 120fps 4D. :smiley:

What a bleak little film it is. A future without “real” cats? That is no future at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.