Article 13 will wreck the internet because Swedish MEPs accidentally pushed the wrong voting button

… and many websites (in the USA, of course) are not even available in Europe now. Mostly US news/press websites where they are too lazy to do what’s needed to fix this or simply do not care that non-US viewers are barred. US news has always had a parochial tendency and this further demonstrates it.

4 Likes

does anyone have a ux teardown of how this voting system works?

2 Likes

Oops, I didn’t mean to press the button that said “Immanentize the Eschaton”…

6 Likes

Yes, the linked article could be a bit confusing if you are not familiar with the parties involved.

It looks like two Social Democrats (centre-left). and two Sweden Democrats (Far-right) all voted the wrong way by mistake.

Background :

7 Likes

And I think we’re going to see similar outcomes from this copyright reform. It’s exactly what we saw when Germany and Spain tried to impose their own link taxes (and when Belgium tried to do something similar through the courts):

Politician/Court/Regulator: Google, when you link to Germany/Spanish/Belgium news web sites, you have to pay a royalty/tax.
Google: OK. Uhm. I guess we won’t do that any more then.
Politician/Court/Regulator: Well… fuck. That didn’t go how we hoped.

Now, it’s a lot harder to ignore the entire EU. But this legislation will be implemented on a country-by-country basis and it wouldn’t shock me if Google decided, you know, complying with Estonian copyright legislation is more trouble than it’s worth.

8 Likes

“Are you the Judean People’s Front?”

2 Likes

I think it means - as ever with EU rules - that each country gets to implement them individually. But if they all adhere to them - even with some small vagaries for how each country legislates to be compliant - then complying with EU rules in any place is likely to be pretty much compliant in any other place. There may be small differences but if Google complies in, say, Germany, then it has a hugely high probability of being compliant in Estonia. And vice versa.

They did. It very clearly said “Do not fail to digitate this button if you have no desire to not disimplement Article 13 and not unestablish the contrariwise regimentation”. You can only hold the hands of users so far.

9 Likes

This has been one hell of a mercury retrograde.

4 Likes

Do they use Robert’s Rules of Order? If you voted for something that passed, you can file a Motion to Reconsider.

LOL Interwebs QOTD

OK also contender for Interwebs QOTD :smiley:

1 Like

so what i’m hearing is that the swedish MEPs bork bork borked it

2 Likes

The EU has 2 years to implement this, right? That’s plenty of time for them to realize it is ultimately unenforceable.

Or Google will shut off all services to the EU and they’ll realize it in two days.

1 Like

Now that a list of how Swedish MEPs voted has been released, it looks as though there were at least two, possibly even three MEPs who voted incorrectly by pressing the wrong button.

Was it their first day on the job? Otherwise it would take multiple people suffering from Rob Ford-level coke binges to all get it wrong at the same time.

2 Likes

Has this come around again?

3 Likes

I think that more recently, they’ve felt it was a good idea to avoid drawing the Germans’ attention to that last time.

1 Like

Actually, a Croatian MEP (Borzan) also admitted to have pressed the wrong button regarding the amendment debate.

2 Likes

It really sucks. I’ve always been a pro E.U. person. And I still am. But the bureacracy/lobbyism is really getting extremely bad. I still think it’s best to stay within the E.U. and try to change it for the better from within. But on days like this it gets depressing.

Sometimes I dream of retiring to some remote uninhabited island and only worry about food and sleep.

4 Likes

And many millions of euros of fines are being levied by data protection authorities to penalize web sites and apps that misuse personal data or lie to their users regarding what data they gather, keep, or sell to aggregators.

2 Likes