Article 13 will wreck the internet because Swedish MEPs accidentally pushed the wrong voting button

I like to look at it this way*: without the EU, we’d still get stupid laws passed now and then, except it’d be set against the backdrop of a shooting war in Western Europe by 2050.

*me liking to look at it this way is no guarantee of the accuracy of “this way”

7 Likes

Yup. Look at the so-called “banking crisis” of 2008 and beyond - a systemic crisis of this size in any pre-EU point in time would have resulted in at least one minor war. Say, something like the Second Schleswig war (1864) or the Austro-Prussian war (1866).
Distraction from internal problems, a handy scapegoat, and the promise of loot, what’s not to like…

3 Likes

Yes, and the lobbyists would probably be the same people, but working for the international arms dealers. And they would probably still not lobby for freedom…

3 Likes

I’m all about privacy but it’s the implementation of GDPR that bothers me. The web user experience on has been damaged because we’re required to click multiple times before we can do anything.

its even worse:

Now please keep your nerves! The corrected votes are there. Had all colleagues and coworkers RIGHTLY voted today, there would have been a majority to make changes to # Article 13 & # 11.

and it seems that the way they asked was deliberately confusing:

He was aware at the time that this was a bit confusing and continued anyway. Ist even heard on the recording for the vote.

:no_mouth::flushed::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::japanese_ogre:

that really does it!

EDIT: TheGuardian has also a piece on this topic:

3 Likes

We need extra mechanisms in the E.U. to fire people for these kind of shenanigans.

2 Likes

Are you really all about privacy if protecting your personal information is not worth a few fractions of a second? From my personal experience, I can say that I’ve stopped using multiple sites after seeing the breadth of information that they consider necessary for me to access their pages. GDPR is not perfect, but it’s a step in the right direction (and a bigger step than any other government or supranational organization has taken). If we have to wait for a literally perfect solution before we take action, we’ll never get anywhere. Now that the GDPR is out there and its effects becoming known to developers, user and countries at large, there is a greater chance of similar rules being implemented in other jurisdictions, and also of negative effects being accounts for, whether in other implementations or in the EU itself. Personally, I think it’s an extremely positive step, hopefully the first on a long path of reducing the potential for exploitation of individuals online.

9 Likes

I think I’d vote out a rep who can’t properly work the voting machine.

2 Likes

GDPR was fundamentally aiming for a good goal “computer stuff should be required to tell you what it is tracking (at least if it isn’t obvious that it has to track whatever it is tracking to do the job you the end user are asking for…so no ‘calendar needs to remember the stuff you type in it so it can show it to you later!’)”. It is a lot of work to do that on a deadline, but the goal was basically just “all the hidden creepy tracking stuff? Just tell us what it is!”

Article 13 is not fundamentally aiming for a good goal, it is aiming for “telling someone about my stuff requires you give me money”.

So if you quote sections of my message here and reply? Pay me. If you summarize my message and reply? Pay me.

If it doesn’t actually manage to say that (because “me” in “pay” may be limited to registered media, and the “work” to be summarized may need to pass specific size tests, and you may need a link…although BB’s BBS gives you a link, so…pay me?)…it is actually that in spirit.

2 Likes

The Social Democrats have betrayed us again.

Time will tell I guess. I’m not worried because if it truly is a terrible set of regulations, it can be changed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.