Artists troll Thingiverse with 3D model mashup bot

[Read the post]

1 Like

Shame Thingiverse canā€™t simply create a label, such as ā€œartā€ or ā€œbot-createdā€ or whatever to allow the bot to continue making the mashups while also allowing regular users to sidestep bot-created (or similar) content.

And this statement,

ā€¦is, to my way of thinking, not a rational thought.

4 Likes

They should have named it Hieronymus Botsch.

4 Likes

How do they decide whoā€™s on the front page? First-come-first-served? Or does popularity matter? Because it sounds like the botā€™s owners donā€™t feel like slowing down its output for the good of the order.

3 Likes

Hello, Iā€™d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

or

6 Likes

ā€œI call this piece, ā€˜This makes people want to punch me in the faceā€™.ā€

9 Likes

Seems to me the robot is no better than malware. But I suppose some malware designers consider themselves artists.

1 Like

OK, youā€™ve got your 15 seconds of fame, for what? To piss off a bunch of 3D nerds? bravo

on the other hand it IS kinda cool in a obnoxiously dadaist wayā€¦ maybe future games will troll the thousands and thousand or millions of mashups for junk to clutter up their current CoD title or VR thingee.

4 Likes

The ā€œfront pageā€ of Thingiverse is not greatly impacted by the bot, despite what the story suggests. It does clutter the stream of designs, which, when one browses for new designs, are generally viewed in the order they were published (you can change the sorting, such as by popularity).

Honestly, though Iā€™m as cranky a Thingiverse user as there is, the bot hasnā€™t troubled me much. (The fact that my designs are licensed in a way which makes them ineligible as DNA for the bot may be part of that.) So many designs are published each day, the fact that a number of them are made by this bot isnā€™t of much consequence. I would be annoyed if my designs were being used frequently and I kept receiving notifications, however.

The trouble this particular bot is causing is minor, in my opinion, and I never questioned the intentions of its creators. The next botā€¦?

4 Likes

If it uses a widget to make a junk jumble, and later I am searching for the widget, and so I use [widget-name] in the search box, is the search going to return the junk as well as the widget?

Because thatā€™s just pissing in the pool.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a valid concern, especially since Thingiverseā€™s search doesnā€™t always work very well as it is. (In the past, Iā€™ve had to resort to a site-specific Google search to find what Iā€™m looking for.)

From the linked pageā€™s FAQ:

āˆ’ Does Art belong in Thingiverse?

Yes, Thingiverse has an Art category. It is also well intentioned for art to be shown on platforms beyond art platforms to reach different audiences.

Bingo. And/or, as per @kongorilla, Thingiverse could change their default search to something other than order-of-creation, so the mashups wonā€™t clog the list.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.