As beaches reopen, watch Florida Governor Ron DeSantis attempt to put on a protective mask

What you need is your own local version of ‘Led By Donkeys’.

11 Likes

What I don’t understand are Florida’s relatively small COVID-19 numbers. With Spring Break presumably spreading the virus, a high number of seniors, and an aversion to social distancing, why haven’t they been hit like Louisiana?

Edit: Just checked again for the first time in weeks. They are being hit. 790 deaths to date, 50 of those yesterday. I guess they just don’t care.

6 Likes

We already have the billboard here in Florida. Hard to see in this pic, but shows DeSantis smelling his finger with an ungloved hand while wearing a glove on the other hand. I don’t know what he’s trying to do.

15 Likes

What is the testing like in Florida?

1 Like

Spotty, at best. Here in the Keys (110 mile archipelago from Key Largo to Key West), there are two testing stations, one in Marathon and another in Key West. Or one can take their chances driving to the mainland to one of the sites in Miami, Hollywood or Ft. Lauderdale if you have symptoms, are a first responder or traveled to a known hot spot. So, not so easy to get tested as we were promised by that asshole-in-chief!
Yay, Florida! Let’s go to the beach!

6 Likes

Graphic should show Trump not engaged in actual labor, but instead with arms akimbo and barking borders! :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

If only all murders were so stupid.

May his newly liberated consituents hug him in repeated shows of appreciation.

4 Likes

Oh God that is such billboard material!

That needs to be posted on a freeway outside his office

5 Likes

They’ve given tests equal to about 1% of the population, which just puts them in the bottom half on a tests per capita basis. Considering they have the fifth oldest median age in the US, they are in for a rough road.

6 Likes

Well, at least Disney and Universal aren’t as flat-out stupid as the Florida Govt.

5 Likes

When performing a self Digital Rectal Exam, always remember to use the gloved hand!

5 Likes

don’t forget grocery store employees, gig workers, USPS, FedEx, UPS, and (Amazon minus Bezos)

3 Likes

To be entirely fair, these are the key rules for the beach openings:

Jacksonville opened beaches from 6-11 a.m. and 5-8 p.m. daily, with some restrictions including no sunbathing or lounging in chairs or on blankets.

In principle, this is like keeping a green park open for walking, running, cycling, etc. All at appropriate social distance. But not for picnicking, team sports, etc. In my home, NYC, that’s generally been the rule and I’m in favor. Across the Hudson, in Jersey, a major state park has been closed up tight (along with all other NJ state parks) since Tuesday last week and I think that’s short-sighted.

Pictures I see from JAX so far are all aerial distance shots, long views with telephoto lenses, etc. If you normalize for that most of what I see looks like households together and not-same-households mostly being good about 6 foot distances. Though I do wonder what the scene is like at the parking areas. :frowning:

4 Likes

Floridians will be sorry in 2 weeks. That’s when their hospitals start filling up again and people begin to suffer and die.

4 Likes

Internal Screaming (2)

15 Likes

Here’s hoping. But the reality is that we really don’t know what sort of transmission rates we should expect in cases like this.

At least I have not seen any data with respect to new cases as to infection rates from different groupos such as:

• People practicing social distancing (say 1-3 encounters outside of home)
  • People practicing social distancing but with regular encounters (daily walks, etc.)
  • People living with an infected individual (who is presumably self-isolating)
  • Front line workers

Given how little testing is going on, and the length of the incubation period, it’s probably almost impossible to get statistically valid numbers, but I haven’t seen any educated guesses.

Given how little data there is, it’s little wonder that politicians who are inclined that particular way chose to assume that tighter measures aren’t worth the economic/morale costs.

Which means the stands on the issue often devolve down to our prior tendencies about how much we’re willing to pay for things that may make us safer, but aren’t guaranteed to.

On the other hand, Florida, like Sweden, is likely to at least provide a very interesting data point. I truly hope that it turns out that this has little effect on the infection rates. But I’m awfully glad it’s not my government that’s choosing to make us all experimental subjects.

3 Likes

the model gets updated every three days. with the previous strict isolation no hospital overload is expected, with looser restrictions the hospitals overload june first

by monday i guess the model will get updated with florida’s new guidelines

7 Likes

I am absolutely terrified because every news report is now about reopening. GA hasn’t even peaked yet, and everyone seems to be champing at the bit to kick the door open, including the company I work for.

It’s going to get testy when I tell them my makeshift desk at home is far preferable to driving 45 minutes each way to spend all day fully masked/gloved in close quarters with a bunch of “Pandemic? Whatever!” co-workers who are casual about sanitary behavior.

Tybee is bracing for more inanity as the weather gets nicer. Already vacation rentals are ignoring the edict. We’re going to be overrun, and while there are a LOT of cops congregated here, if things relax even a bit, it’ll overwhelm the small amount of open resources we have here (gas, IGA, a few restaurants doing takeout). I’m not looking forward to a summer of hiding in my house.

12 Likes

One leg at a time.

Off topic, but please accept my respectful nod for champing (as opposed to chomping).

3 Likes