As beaches reopen, watch Florida Governor Ron DeSantis attempt to put on a protective mask

Not me. I’ll happily keep on sheltering in place.

That sucks. I’m sorry.

8 Likes

Same here; I’m not going back until the curve is fucking flat.

11 Likes

South Dakota looks odd and possibly troubling on that map. Predictions of overwhelmed hospitals amid a sea of no data in the rest of the state.

1 Like

the sea of no data is largely down to the sea of no people

there are fewer people living in the state than there are living in the city of columbus ohio. ( but still two senators, yay! )

5 Likes

I’ve seen doctors wear their n95 masks similarly (either one strap on or upside-down) in our TB rooms… some even just hold them to their faces

People need to figure out how to do testing. We are waiting around for testing and it doesn’t seem like it is going to be coming anytime soon. We also need to figure out PPE manufacturing. Nothing not happening fast enough.

1 Like

The rest of the world has (or much of it has). But we have to make sure that someone makes a profit, or we don’t get testing… Same with the PPE. Health and safety is literally secondary to profit. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

Wow. I knew it had a low population density but had no idea it was that low.

1 Like

Complete coincidence…

6 Likes

Force of habit mate! from what I hear he is always making “foot-in-mouth” statements!!!

Well, fuck that. Seize the labs under eminent domain and pub the board of directors under house arrest.

Oh, but they are already, haven’t you heard? But instead of going to places that need them, they’re going to…no one seems to know for sure.

1 Like

You think that’s going to happen under the current president? Not for the public. They will take it and resell it, though, because that’s real freedom! /s

5 Likes

You can fit the entire population of the state in the Washington DC Mall. In fact I think that area has hosted 2-3X that number of people.

3 Likes

i feel like with a concerted effort we could kick republicans out of the senate. we just need five volunteers to move to south dakota…

2 Likes

Look at Georgia. It looks like Georgia may be fucked no matter what.

3 Likes

DeSantis has been burying critical data. Miami Herald leads a group of media & PIRGs suing to get the raw data.

DeSantis is, of course, fighting back because honesty is not a policy.

1 Like

Not to be pedantic, but fucked-er, almost Florida-ed.

In this case, since I want there to be a decent supply of test kits and PPE, and I’d like a lot of people with a lot of money to invest in production very rapidly, I’d rather there be a profit motive.

There are lots of things I’d like the government to be involved in. Production of goods is rarely one of them. I’d prefer that the government do what it’s has a lot of experience doing: procurement.

Thanks for the pointer. I hadn’t looked at the site for a while.

However, what I can’t help noticing is how much below capacity Florida currently is (looks like 5K currently vs. 60K capacity). I had no idea the gap was so large.

Which leaves me with some unsettling questions.

I assume the two sane objectives are

1. Control the outbreak so tightly that only a small percentage of the population gets it in the 18 months to 2 years necessary to develop a vaccine.
  2. Achieve herd immunity through controlled levels of exposure (lock-down light) so that hospitalizations don’t exceed capacity - (i.e. flatten the curve)

My questions then are:

1. Do we believe that treatment will get significantly better with time? (Reason to keep strict lock-down longer.)
  2. If we assume that we can only afford so much lock-down, is it better to spend it all at the beginning in a hard lock-down, or to have longer, less expensive multiple lock downs.
  3. The hard one (for me). Is option 1 even possible for our society? Or does the confluence of circumstances (regardless of reason!) make it impossible for us to successfully perform the Dance part of the “Hammer and the Dance”. And if it is impossible, then do we kill a lot of people trying for an impossible option 1.

One thing I hate about Trump is that he so poisons everything he touches that it makes it almost impossible to sanely examine options that he’s looked at with passing favour.