"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"

That’s perhaps the liberalest thing I’ve ever heard

1 Like

I mean, that’s pretty much what happened in Germany.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s necessarily incorrect.

I’m just saying it’s a very status quo and capitalist way to solve the problem. And it doesn’t really address root causes so much as bury them under organic freetrade PFOA-free BPA-free rainbow-pride compost.

Ah, I see now that you were using “liberal” in the correct way, not the modern American way

4 Likes

Yeah, liberal political philosophy as in “we can spend our way out of overconsumption and overproduction”

1 Like

Well, but was there the same sort of situation in Germany as there was here in the US with regards to food deserts? I agree that a bigger market for organic and natural foods (keeping in mind that in the US, these labels are probably no where as tightly regulated as they are in the EU) will lower the over all cost. But the core problem here is often just access to ANY fresh food. We can address both problems at the same time, but the core problem being discussed in the comic is access to healthy food of any kind.

3 Likes

Yeah, the situation isn’t the same of course and I agree that food deserts and affordable real food are a huge problem. What I was getting at is more that in the context of the comic, of course, denigrating other people for their food choices is wrong but the act of buying organic/free range/“ethical” food isn’t. It’s only the “you do it to feel morally superior” part that is the problem.

4 Likes

Sure, but I think that many believe that everyone has the same choices available to them when they often don’t.

4 Likes

Have you been listening to Flanders and Swann? The Reluctant Cannibal - YouTube

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.