As people get older, they listen to less hot music: the "Coolness Spiral of Death"

37, still seeking out new music, but also seeking out older music I haven’t heard before. I wouldn’t say my taste has changed so much as it’s broadened. I never cared about what was cool at any age.

2 Likes

Good. It was terrible.

5 Likes

No ones seems to take in consideration that streaming services are very recent, do not represent all music listeners out there and are not very popular with artists.

It has been only 10 years since people stopped paying for music and that changed the landscape for all aspiring musicians choosing to live off of their art. The old business model of signing with a big label, creating hype, releasing an album, touring and then starting everything again 2 years later is finished. Good bands have been going on long hiatuses and sometimes releasing new material without being noticed.

The ones that survived: old dinosaurs who got back together for tours without releasing new material, disposable new performance acts with lasers and dancers with one or two singles on iTunes and pretentious fakers doing retro copy and paste.

Of course there are good new artists and music out there and streaming services makes it easy for people to find them. But it is harder than ever to find the ones with vision with well produced albums in the noise of untalented and forgettable junk that those services also push to us.

So, just maybe… being 33 years old just means you lived through all this transformation and simply cannot find new music that sticks. Arcade Fire released Funeral at the end of 2004 and, after that, everything punk was dead and buried.

There is just too much music in the world to get stuck listening to the crap that the programming geniuses attempt to have us listen to. I love apps like TuneIn which I can just grab something from anywhere in the world. Latin America and Africa have some amazing music to share. Like reading, you need to check out other sources on a regular basis.

The utility of these radial graphs is lost on me. What do they show that can’t be shown on a standard graph? And what’s the point of making it difficult to follow a line? Wait, is that going up or down?

2 Likes

I actually saw that (for no reason in particular [cough cough]) as the time when your kids are controlling the radio and still talking to you.

3 Likes

the kids controlling the radio is happening about 5 years early for me then. I am trying to be supportive, so I haven’t expressed my feelings about “Imagine Dragons” in any great detail.

When they were, like, four years old, they used to sing Kraftwerk’s The Robots. Not the whole thing - just the phrase “we are the robots” over and over. Now it’s Katy Perry & Deadmau5 & Imagine Dragons

Hmmm, had I stopped listening to new music in the 1990s I could have avoided all the excruciatingly painful garbage made with Auto-Tune.

Fortunately there’s plenty of stuff being created without that aural abomination.

I commend you on your tongue-biting fortitude. Kids and robots are a natural match, maybe. My young son likes exactly one Daft Punk song: Robot Rock.

Because Paul Simon and Frank Zappa oughta be enough for anybody?

Well, the truth is, the older you get the less you care about “hip” stuff, bands come and go, year after year, and why bother to care?

Most of the time I just want to listen to the silence, it never goes out of style.

1 Like

I’m 47 and have been latching on to more music than I did in my 20s.

I’m in my later 40s and I don’t even bother with streaming services due to the lack of selection into the stuff I’m into. While some of what I like is on services, if I want to make a play list it is just easier to throw the tracks together myself and sync them to my phone via things like dropbox.

I still crave novelty in my music and I hope to keep finding new genres and rediscover old ones.

They say 74 is the new 24 so I have hope:

1 Like

I just love Little Mouse.

1 Like

Heresy!!! Rock and Roll FOREVAH!!!

4 Likes

I’m going to have to disagree there… there was plenty of good stuff in the 90s… Even if most of the popular stuff sucked… but doesn’t the popular stuff usually suck?

This.
Sorry but cheesy Italian film score music not there.

4 Likes

Ok, That was awesome.

heh. yeah. you can thank ElDiabolik’s World Of Psychotronic Soundtracks for turning me onto that sort of thing.

I transcend this death spiral, escaping it entirely:

I simply do not listen to music, at least as a conscious choice. I mean, often music happens in my vicinity and sometimes I’ll mildly enjoy it, sometimes I’m annoyed, but mostly I just ignore it, and I’ll happily spend time in dead silence without any music going on.

Since I am immune to this death spiral of coolness, I contend I am infinite cool.

1 Like