As President, Trump personally took millions from foreign governments

And in the absence of cooperation we can speculate on what the quantum might be:

"The report discussed four properties, less than 1 per cent of the 558 corporate entities Mr Trump owned either directly or indirectly as president.

Mr Trump’s accounting firm did not provide documents regarding at least 80 per cent of Mr Trump’s business entities, congressional investigators said."

4 Likes

It’s a very, very different sort of usage/phenomenon this time, though. I don’t remember anyone but Krauthammer using it with Bush (certainly Bush himself wasn’t using it), and outside the Vox article I don’t remember anyone using it with Obama (though it was certainly true then, for once, but using the term “Obama derangement syndrome” to describe “racists flipping out” was kind of unnecessary). Now any criticism of Trump gets greeted by someone in Trump’s camp (or Republican party) with that phrase.

4 Likes

What’s really disturbing is that here we have a supposed billionaire, one who was at the time arguably the most powerful person in the world, and he’s willing to be bribed for what would be, to most actual billionaires, rounding errors in their investment portfolios.

10 Likes

i would be curious to learn how much more he took in after becoming president.

while accepting money via existing contacts is wrong - and at least some of that was known already, for example the “post office” in dc ( now a waldorf astoria chain motel ) i can’t help imagine the rents were inflated to cover the bribes

3 Likes

Maryland and Virginia sued Trump re: his hotel in the Old Post Office building in DC, but the trial was delayed again and again until the judge mooted it, saying since Trump was no longer in office, the emoluments clause no longer applied. That’s justice?

2 Likes

His lawyer is saying it’s not really against the law to violate the Constitution. If Trump committed 'a technical violation of the Constitution,' it's not a crime, his lawyer says
Wouldn’t have thought Constitution Shmonstitution would be such a prominent plank of the Republican party .

2 Likes

Nope. His followers appear to admire him for it. Anything he can steal from the government scores points. So stealing from foreign governments must be extra good because he tricked someone new.

It doesn’t figure into the equation what he’s selling, whether that be access, favors, or national security secrets.

“Deplorables” barely scratches the surface.

3 Likes

Well hey if I charge 500K a night for a room and some idiot is willing to pay that – while never actually staying in the room, but whatever – what’s wrong with that? Yay capitalism! By the way, have you had a shit yet on my latest gold toilet? People are saying it’s the best shit ever!

3 Likes

You can influence his behavior with thirteen cents:

3 Likes

The short-fingered vulgarian wins again!

1 Like

Willing? Remember when 45 forced the Secret Service to pay premium rates when he had to visit NYC? They complained because he drained their budget. Did anyone check the receipts from the Office of the First Lady? Was she charged the usual rate for every hotel stay while avoiding that cheating clown?

3 Likes

donald trump lol GIF by NowThis

:nauseated_face: OMG, where’s that puke emoji?!?
:face_vomiting:
:relieved: Time for a unicorn chaser…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.