Asked about dropping Mike Flynn criminal charges, A.G. Barr gives the worst answer yet

3-2 odds the judge ignores the plea change, sentences Flynn anyway and recommends sanctions for attorneys on both defense and prosecution

3 Likes

why the prosecution? the accusations of bad intent seemed to be refuted.

When the interview is nothing but softball questions with no follow up and we still wind up with a horrifying quote…

9 Likes

Because the prosecution is the one seeking to dismiss their own case in bad faith. Barr made it clear this is nothing more than violating his own professional ethical duties and the very purpose of Special Counsels independent of the AG in the first place.

4 Likes

I see what you are saying. Its not really the prosecutors that worked the case, but rather the DOJ that is letting a confessed criminal off the hook because “reasons”.

3 Likes

I think he meant, at least in the current era, that history is re-written by the winners, which is to say, them with the POWER,

They can only do what we let them do.

1 Like

Tough times here in the States of America. Not only are we dealing with a plague like everyone else - so much for 'Murican Exceptionalism - it’s attacking the wrong fucking people.

I’m just concerned that they have some insurance in their back pockets; they seem … confident about no repercussions.

3 Likes

I’m hoping it’s the confidence that comes with having avoided any major repercussions to date, and they are in for a shock. And yet… they have received no repercussions to date for things that would have caused meltdowns in the past. So… there’s no telling until something happens, or doesn’t.

4 Likes

Given that Plato was no fan of democracy I’m not sure what he would think. Maybe, “I told you so”?

Pretty sure Plato saw this coming. No way he saw Trump tho. No one could do that and not puke, and, as I recall, I’ve never read anything about Plato puking. Anyway, the idea that a republic could easily and quickly lose its way. Yeah, he saw that.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s got his money on a “1,000 Year Christian Reich”. I’m hoping for a 2021 Nuremberg Trial.

1 Like

I really, really hope that you are correct, and that it’s massive hubris, and not that the fix is in.

1 Like

No way in hell did Barr have an ok reputation. He ended the Iran Contra investigation the minute it became obvious that George HW Bush was involved. Corrupt then and corrupt now.

5 Likes

BILL BARR: “Well, history is written by the winners. So it largely depends on who’s writing the history.”

I think I get what he was going for here. Caution, nested ‘if’ statements ahoy!

IF you believe you are doing the right thing and IF you believe you are a moral person, then it follows that what you do is correct and right and just, even if ‘some’ may portray it as wrong and immoral and unjust. Whiners gonna whine, as they say.

I think that Barr believes he was doing the Just thing, and that he also believes he is morally courageous enough to do the right thing even though he will be criticised for it if the “wrong” people get to write the history of now.

He’s wrong, and an arsehole to boot, but I’d bet up to 5c that that was his subconscious thought process.

He’s also wrong about who writes history, as anyone who’s read histories of the US Civil War, the Russian Front in WWII, or the US-phase of the Vietnam War could tell you.

4 Likes

I think a simpler explanation (born out by current political reality) is that he believes the people who matter are willing to take whatever the trump admin says is true, as true.

He believes objective reality no longer exists, because that’s actually the case for everyone he cares about. To trump, to his lackeys, to trump voters, reality has no basis in fact or evidence beyond what they want to believe. They are already the Victors, and whatever the party says is true.

3 Likes

Not everyone dies in prison, Bill.

4 Likes

This sentiment isn’t exactly new. It has always been true when US war criminals are concerned.

Rule of law is a farce in the US: Cops murder without repercussions, war criminals go free (and get medals) and secret courts (FISA) issue secret orders.

Banana republic

2 Likes