Justice Dept. drops case against Michael Flynn, Trump's first national security adviser

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/07/justice-department-dropping-ca.html

6 Likes

Were they written in crayon?

9 Likes

If I understand correctly, simply because the justice dept. has decided to drop its prosecution, that does not mean that the Judge has to follow suit. Since Flynn has already pleaded guilty, the Judge can go ahead and sentence him anyway. Apparently that would be unusual, but then everything about this whole through-the-looking-glass mess is unusual already.

If the Judge does go ahead, Trump would of course pardon Flynn, but that would make it another big campaign issue. I don’t think the majority of the country favors allowing the criminality of top governmental officials to go unpunished. Despite the Trump and Barr propaganda, the public does not favor those who lie to the FBI. Fingers crossed.

18 Likes

All together now:

“IT’S OKAY IF YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN!”

14 Likes

Maybe that should that be:
“Justice” Department drops case against Michael Flynn

14 Likes

America is a banana republic

…just look at it?

38 Likes

Well, now we know one of the things that Biff and Putin discussed during their phone call the other day. The old KGB hand knows how to take care of his assets.

16 Likes

The normalization of corruption under Trump will not go away, particularly when the conservative echo-chamber bends over backwards to defend it with conspiracies and excuses. Even a complete sea-change in congress and the White House this November may not be enough to make GOP regulars admit they bet on the wrong horse with Trump.

14 Likes

Our republic appears more banana-like every day. No, every hour!

8 Likes

if we were ever a democracy, we are clearly not any longer

the president has servants and reaches into other parts of the government to execute his desires at will and no-one can stop him

5 Likes

People CAN stop him, they just WON’T stop him.

7 Likes

America, it was nice to know you.

6 Likes

Just look at it!

6 Likes

The judge should sentence Flynn to 1,000 years in prison, since it won’t matter, might as well make Trump as angry as possible

6 Likes

I’d guess the same Sharpie from the Dorian map.

5 Likes

Make the corruption open and blatant, reward cronies socially and monetarily, be shocking to opponents and non-partisans, pump up your base, increase chaos. And the end goal is straight-up, open fascism, straight out of the Bannon playbook.

13 Likes

Rule of Law is dead. Justice is an off-color joke. If there were a nanogram of justice on this entire planet, General Flynn would’ve faced a firing squad years ago.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what their options are.
Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler can complain all they like, but unless there are actual criminal charges against Barr, why wouldn’t he do this? If criminal charges are proferred against Barr, how will the Republicans react? Would there be violence?
The Republican Party realised in the 1980’s, when Reagan didn’t have to answer for his crimes, that there are no consequences for this kind of stuff.
I am going to predict nothing will happen. Again.

4 Likes

BeyonceLemonade

6 Likes

They can, and at this point almost have to, impeach Barr.

6 Likes