Justice Dept. drops case against Michael Flynn, Trump's first national security adviser

holy bleep, trump is off the deep end now, he just ended the post office effectively

he just installed a top lackey there to run the place, it’s done

I’m not even sure an election can fix this, there are still six months to dismantle it

4 Likes

Do you really think impeaching Barr will do a damn thing? It’ll just be another shit-show where the Republicans stonewall everything, wipe their asses with the Constitution’s concept of checks and balances, and then the Right-Wing spin machine goes on for months about how completely crazy and unhinged the Democrats are and how they’re desperately trying to hurt anyone to get at Trump.

3 Likes

Not in the least. I’m completely resigned to there not being anything positive coming from Washington DC before the first Tuesday of November and am only very slightly optimistic about then. The comment was not coming from a place of hope.

The only way that there could be any accountability of trump (or anyone in his administration) before next January would require impeaching Barr. I don’t think that will happen. I don’t think the democrats are capable of doing it if they tried. But it would be a required step for congress to actually do its job at any point before Jan. 2021

10 Likes

Barr’s response is basically “what are you gonna do about it, nerd?”

7 Likes
9 Likes

Reuters: Skeptical judge could hold up Trump administration’s bid to clear Flynn -legal experts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/skeptical-judge-could-hold-up-trump-administrations-bid-to-clear-flynn-legal-experts/ar-BB13KVcm?ocid=spartanntp

4 Likes

It is due to snow this weekend. If we’re going to be a banana republic I would at least like warm weather in May.

3 Likes

Remember how quaint this was? Good times, good times!

2 Likes

7 Likes

“He’s our Nelson Mandela.”

I’m sure they’ve probably already compared other criminals in the administration to Rosa Parks and Jesus but I’m too depressed to look it up.

7 Likes

I’m not so sure. Anyone who has stuck with Trump’s criminality so far isn’t going to be fazed by a pardon, which clearly falls under the power Trump is legally granted under the Constitution.

I think Ken White is probably on the money here. Any President can pardon a crony, but bending the entire Department of Justice to his personal whims is some heavy-duty autocrat shit.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1258493702084767744

11 Likes

Equating “Black Lives Matter” with shady dealings? One would almost imagine that whoever compiled that image was a racist.

6 Likes
5 Likes

The “Benghazi Cover-Up Scandal” has its own logo? Neat.

And apparently Black Lives Matter is a bad thing? O…K…

1 Like

This seems to be correct. In order for this miscarriage of justice to proceed, both the Attorney General and the presiding judge have to be completely corrupt. Thankfully, in this case, the judge looks to not be amorally partisan, so there may be fireworks.

But imagine what can happen if/when Trump gets a second term and the Judiciary is completely filled with McConnell’s Federalist Society hack judges. Plus, all the Inspectors General and the high- and medium-level bureaucrats will have been winnowed so that only the Trumpest appointees remain.

Barr is trying to compete with John Mitchell for worst AG of all time-- but watch for Trump give the guy the Medal of Freedom before his term is over.

2 Likes

True that. And I only mention it because it is clear that Flynn walking free has always been a foregone conclusion. But I think there are plenty of people who can tell the difference between a pardon given to a political crony, and a pardon given to actually correct a miscarriage of justice. Hopefully, it adds up, and we can start to put things back in order in November.

1 Like

The majority of the country didn’t want Trump to be president in 2016. Trump has always had a strategy of doubling down on appealing to his base and largely ignoring moderates. And I suspect that his base is strongly in favor of allowing criminality by “their guys,” to go unpunished.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.