Aspiring pastor blames "cold medicine" after killing wife

The “sleep aid” in unison and Tylenol PM is dyphenhydromine or as better known as benedryl

1 Like

How odd.

Very true; it’s a scourge.

Late stage capitalism?

3 Likes

Y’know, these things happen when you have a cold, give the (crazy) guy a break.(I think he’ll get off by proving his lawyer is incompetent)

Anecdotally, people I’ve met who have recreationally drank a whole bottle of DXM based cough syrup do experience hallucinations and dissociative states, sometimes with memory loss.

A whole bottle, though! More likely…

1 Like

Even better, clearly it was God;'s Will™ as he (or she) could have intervened at any time.

Since innumerable sports events in the South and elsewhere have shown God is intensely interested in the outcome of such games, certainly we can assume this God would be even more concerned over a murder and would not permit it if such a thing did not please him or her in the same way sports teams can count on Jesus to help them with a critical field goal or pass interception…

2 Likes

I could be wrong and this is a ‘the one armed man’ innocent situation. But, what’s more likely - he is an entitled domestic abuser who escalated to murder OR a common cold medicine caused him to act out a violent dream…

I mean, if his story is true, it would be unfathomable horror story situation to be in - mostly because people like me wouldn’t believe it.

1 Like

Yes, I noted on the active ingredients that it was an anti-histamine. Probably why my slight nasal congestion cleared up!

Oh, I know how she feels. I am notorious for anomalous reactions to medications. Wellbutrin + cough suppressant put me in the ER once. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out Wellbutrin makes me super anxious which is like the opposite of the thing it is supposed to do.

2 Likes

It’s just strange that he didn’t say God made him do it. I mean, do a couple Google searches (not from any computer identifiable to you, though) and you’ll see that blaming cold medicine for your insane murders, instead of God, is pretty unusual for deeply religious people.

2 Likes

I did that as a teenage punk rocker. Boy was I embarrassed to learn the next day that I had listened to a lot of Duran Duran during the trip. Did not murder anyone though. Still don’t recommend it. Felt rather hard on the brain/body.

1 Like

It’s commonplace to use job titles, age, address, etc., as the first descriptive ports of call in newswriting. Jobs do a lot of work to inform – or manipulate – readers’ perception of class, status, location and so on.

But it’s particularly newsworthy to mention someone’s aspirations to positions of moral authority and influence when they are accused of crimes. This would certainly include doctors and teachers, though not plumbers. LEOs, lawyers and judges’ jobs are especially delicious when accused of crimes, and mail carriers are a special case in reporting certain types of violent crime.

His religion (and any hyper-ness thereof) isn’t relevant and isn’t mentioned. The fact that he wanted to be a pastor, though, is.

9 Likes

Ha ha, brings to mind the Chicago MUsical, “He ran into my knife, he ran into my knife TEN times” :wink:

4 Likes

Having done a rather lot of DXM in my time, it can definitely cause some altered states, but inhibits mobility at a similar rate. Well before you would reach crazed homicidal maniac status you would have given up on such complex tasks as standing and using your opposable thumbs.

2 Likes

My older sister did dumb shit like that, decades before “sizzurp” was even a thing.

O_O

That said, I agree that no matter what substance was in the guy’s system, it’s highly unlikely to have been the sole cause for his violent actions.

3 Likes

That reminds me of a David Cross bit. Where he spends several minutes talking about taking varies drugs he has taken.

Then he gets sick and he asks his girlfriend to get him some NyQuil. She does, and he’s reading the bottle, looking for the dosage amounts and she asks, “What are you doing?”

“I’m seeing how much I should take.”

“Don’t be a wuss, just chug it.”

“Uh, HELLO! It’s MEDICINE!”

5 Likes

He’s got to deal with the secular legal system, so a secular defense. To generalize, most religious folks know what side of the bread to butter. They know that the thing that gets them out of hot water with the guy upstairs is not generally terribly useful with us heathens, especially a capital crime.

2 Likes

Oh come on…my dad kept a large bottle of Robitussin in his nightstand. As a child of 6+ it was not unusual for him to tell me to take a swig if I had a cough during the night. I’m guessing a swig was probably close to 30ml…

As a parent now I realize it was probably more to knock me out rather than help my cough…

1 Like

I once spent much of the morning enjoying some DMX, unfortunately the rest of the day I had an urge to bark at things and used “bitch” excessively.

1 Like

I’ve mixed the wrong medications before and the only person I felt like killing was myself when I wasn’t puking up my intestines.

1 Like

it’s all about set and setting…cough syrup worked a charm for lester bangs

1 Like