Assailed for muzzling professors, University of Florida will now permit them to testify in court as experts

Originally published at: Assailed for muzzling professors, University of Florida will now permit them to testify in court as experts | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Anything that draws attention to problems caused by the university’s lack of genuine political independence (and the degree of commercial activity it is involved in) is worth doing.

Agreed, especially since Florida exports right-wing crazy to other states like California sets trends in entertainment and music and tech.

29 Likes

An expertly executed about-face as I have ever seen.

13 Likes
24 Likes

Seems a good idea to press it. The university’s obeisance first to political pressure and then to countervailing media pressure looks like feckless brand management and can’t be trusted not to change again with another Friday-evening press release. Anything that draws attention to problems caused by the university’s lack of genuine political independence (and the degree of commercial activity it is involved in) is worth doing.

I am a UF alumnus, and this has been going on since the days I was a student. UF only cares about who’s making the biggest donations. If they’re right-wing, then so be it.

14 Likes

Seems a common thread across universities (see recent thread on the UC system…)

8 Likes

Nice of them to grant permission… Especially as the first amendment ALREADY DID THAT!

GACK!

13 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Since when does anyone’s employer get to decide whether or not they’re allowed to give evidence in court?

9 Likes

Can’t DeSantis do something? Replace the board with people willing to display loyalty?

5 Likes

He can always try to take away their state funding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.