Associated Press apologizes for tweet noting that Sept. 11 is the "anniversary of a Nickelback album"

Originally published at: Associated Press apologizes for tweet noting that Sept. 11 is the "anniversary of a Nickelback album" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Here we have the perfect example of “tone deaf” on so many levels.

8 Likes

Hold my beer, we got a runner up…

14 Likes

They had a pedophile as their corporate mascot. This is an improvement.

7 Likes

Pretty sure that one was satire but it’s still not much worse than a lot of real promotions out there…

8 Likes

I sure hope it’s satire, I mean that’s f’ing tastelessness on fire.

6 Likes

It is satire. The Onion, 2013.

18 Likes

Well, yeah. It’s Nickelback.

18 Likes

But was this one real?

8 Likes

It’s also the 20th anniversary of the final airing of the “falling from the sky” XM ad. It was deemed tasteless to air after 9/11

3 Likes

This was also released on 9/11 20 years ago:

1 Like

Was mentioned in the article and not embedded, but needs to be seen to be believed.

4 Likes

That was from The Onion:

There was this one that was real, but I always found the 9/11 connection to be pretty tenuous at best but I guess some people were genuinely upset:

6 Likes

Missed opportunity to write something along the lines of, “in yet another tragedy to befall that awful day ….”

7 Likes

I didn’t notice that when I saw it. I thought they were apologising for promoting a Nickelback alum. Which is bad taste so I didn’t go looking for another reason.

7 Likes

What? So we can never, ever acknowledge that anything else also happened to occur on that particular date? If so for how long? God forbid you have a birthday on that date, your not allowed to acknowledge it.

12 Likes

At least with regard to that date in 2001, it’s kind of hard to separate the terrorist attacks from anything else. It’s been beat into our consciousness for the past 20 years that “this must be a solemn day of remembrance - not a time for trivialities or irreverence!” At least those running the AP Twitter account should know better whether or not I agree with that assessment.

3 Likes

Not that I care about a crappy “generic rock” group like nickelback, but are they to be forever demonized because they “dared” to release an album on this random date? Should they lie and claim it happened to come out on another date?

Example: remember Dec 7th “the date which will live in infamy”? Well… now it’s:
REO Speedwagon - 40th Anniversary of Hi Infidelity at The Palace Theatre (Night 2)

https://g.co/kgs/ZE4Yix

Where’s the outrage?

Who’s demonizing Nickelback because of this? Maybe you’re seeing something I’m not.

9/11 was on a Tuesday which just happened to be the day of the week when new album releases traditionally would drop. Nickelback has been hugely successful despite this unfortunate coincidence, so clearly they weren’t hurt by it.

It seems to me that the main source of “outrage” here was just the poor taste of the joke - and that it was the typically staid AP posting it.

I am a fan of dark humor, so I personally found it to be nice little bit of harmless levity to contrast the Mandatory Seriousness of the day.

12 Likes

the mandatory “america is great” and “we alone have suffered tragedy” of the day. every time the anniversary rolls around i can only ever think “have we really learned this little?”

which, coincidentally, is what i also ask about nickleback

4 Likes