At least 3 women who got "vampire facials" in New Mexico were infected with H.I.V

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/26/at-least-3-women-who-got-vampire-facials-in-new-mexico-were-infected-with-h-i-v.html

7 Likes

how high wtf GIF

i… what… GAAAAAHHHHH!!!

8 Likes

Elizabeth Bathory approved?

5 Likes

day ride GIF

3 Likes

Under those conditions, the question is not “how did this happen,” but “how did this not happen more often.” Hopefully there are enough prosecutions here to make similar businesses close shop.

2 Likes

Even more importantly, if it was this obvious, why did these people allow this to be performed on themselves at all?!?!?! I just cannot grasp the importance of this version of “beauty” to some folks. Maybe being old does that? I don’t know anymore.

3 Likes

If I recall correctly, one or more Kardashians had themselves filmed getting this (or at least some questionable cosmetic procedure that ended up smearing blood all over their faces), so I’m sure it doesn’t help if at least some part of the influencer crowd is pushing it.

3 Likes

Besides the desire for whatever is being promised, there’s the issue of why people allow this particular thing to be done to them, and I think a big part of that is this notion of “if it wasn’t safe, it wouldn’t ‘be allowed’.” People just have these notions that dangerous practices are somehow magically prevented from happening, ignoring the fact that they’re clearly not any sort of licensed medical practice…

2 Likes

Medical science has come a long way since bloodletting was a common practice.

2 Likes

Conversely, I’ve had PRP treatment on my knees. But, you know, administered by an orthopedic surgeon in a controlled medical facility.
How passe…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.