At sentencing, a Capitol rioter offered up a laundry list of conspiracy theories

I fantasize all the time about traveling back to, say, 2012 and telling my father that he was about to vote for a philandering, twice-divorced billionaire* (*citation needed) from New York City who spent his entire adult life claiming to be a democrat. Then I’d tell him it would be Donald Trump.

There is zero chance he’d believe me and would probably get angry at the suggestion, especially when I mentioned his name. Yet, here we are.

ETA: Oh, and that he’d be assisted by a Russian propaganda campaign directed by a KGB Soviet revivalist. And everyone on the Right would suddenly bend over backward to recast Russia as an ally all along.

16 Likes

Sounds like a job for Occam’s Guillotine. Keeps your epistemology and your justice nice and parsimonious.

5 Likes

role playing no GIF by Hyper RPG

I’m sure if he’d kept digging down, it would some up somewhere…

5 Likes

Is there a Godwins Law equivalent for conspiracy thunkers and the Elders Of Zion?
This ain’t my area of expertise but here’s a rough sketch of it:
“In any conspiracy theory explanation for why things aren’t going the way of the speaker, the probability of Protocols Of the Elders Of Zion being mentioned approaches 1:1 the longer it goes on for”

4 Likes

Honestly surprised that “mind control” wasn’t part of his conspiracy defense. I guess that goes against feeling like you’re the only one who knows what’s going on and is only not in control of your life because of shadowy forces tilting reality against you, that you’re a hero for fighting, though…

4 Likes

I don’t know, tourists can be pretty violent these days.

(Yes, Yevgeny Prigozhin doesn’t just employ mercenaries, he makes films about mercenaries too.)

4 Likes

Could work… but really, it’s just that so many conspiracy theories found in western society just go straight back to blaming Jewish people, since there was a long history them being the “internal enemy” in Europe… Even the protocols themselves were just updated and modernized versions of older conspiracy theories about Jewish people based on the rise of Zionism as a political position with the European Jewish community…

7 Likes

True. But I’ve always thought that Godwin’s Law wasn’t addressing the historical fact of Nazism or Hitler but the tendency of that topic to be raised in an online discussion of some sort, specifically as a rhetorical device of highly questionable value.
That’s what I was going for. Not an examination of the continuity of anti-semitism as it is experienced as a million headed hydra by its victims but by the tendency of knuckleheads to refer to the Fauxtocols of the Zelda’s of Iron as a historical fact.
Fauxtocols Of the Zelda’s Of Iron coming soon to a punk dive bar near you.

1 Like

… but that’s just what an Antifa crisis actor would say, isn’t it :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

There’s a chart.

10 Likes

True. But in this case, conspiracism has an intertwined history with antisemitism. So… :woman_shrugging: it’s almost always about “the Jews”…

Would go to that dive bar and see that band, for sure…

8 Likes

3 Likes

14 Likes

“That is all. Furthermore…” really sums up a lot of these people.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.