U.S. Capitol rioter convicted and sentenced in secret

Originally published at: U.S. Capitol rioter convicted and sentenced in secret - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Secret trials aren’t a good look in a democracy.

Leads to situations like ‘losing’ a prisoner (Navalny).

26 Likes

Well that’s just super. More material for the “J6 was a false flag operation!” nuts to work with.

25 Likes

Well if revealing whatever information was in that case would threaten the more important cases coming, then I’m all for keeping them under wraps.

The true MAGA are going to call it a false flag no matter what happens. They are already lost, and getting them to believe the truth doesn’t hinge on this case. We already know that if you present them with the truth, backed by evidence, they’ll reject it out of hand. It was crystal clear what was happening the DAY of the insurrection, and as more evidence has come out into the public domain, it’s only been made more clear. This was not going to be the tipping point for these people who are true believers. Some may never come back from this, while others will come trickling back as the ring leaders face consequences. I don’t see a reason to coddle these assholes any more than they’ve already been coddled by trying tor convince them of what the facts are. :woman_shrugging:

32 Likes

I agree. My concern is that the appearance of government overreach and secrecy has a way of turning more people into true believers and more true believers into violent radicals.

Whatever the reasoning for the secret trial was I hope it is worth it.

17 Likes

Maybe, but I’m arguing that there are probably not a lot of people on the fence about this anymore… they’re either true believers or they’re not. And revealing the evidence here of this guy’s guilt won’t really change much on that front.

If people can’t see what is already obvious about Trump, then I’m not sure whatever is here will get them over the line…

Me too. :woman_shrugging: I just don’t think that this is “the thing” that will change hearts and minds… I think real consequences will change some, and the rest is all going to have to be cult deprogramming.

[ETA] here’s what I’m saying about this, put in a far more elegant way…

13 Likes

The last bit went over my head. What word do right wingers have for this? and does it relate to the last dragon video that was linked at the end?

Secret trials are no good but I don’t know the details of his cooperation and what he asked for in return. It sounds like he’s still doing 2 and a half years of prison time, but might have a sealed record afterwards? I didn’t think that was possible. I can only assume it means the info he shared was very valuable and they actually believe the individual is genuinely remorseful?

4 Likes

I’d like to think the judges and prosecutors have learned their lesson about the “remorse” being expressed in these cases at this point, e.g., helmet horn dude. My completely unsupported theory? He had someone much more important to give them, possibly a domestic terrorism threat with the potential to do more damage than the junior grade terrorists that showed up at the Captiol.

10 Likes

I do believe the right-wingers have a word for this sort of guy.

I think we all have a word for this sort of guy! :wink:

(May not be the same word.)

7 Likes

Canary (as in “sang like a”)
Stool pigeon (ok, two words)
Capo
Quisling
Informer
Turncoat
Collaborator
Rat
Scab
Snake

I’m guessing it’s one of those.

2 Likes

I believe they are referencing “glowies”, which are supposed to be government agents who have infiltrated right wing orgs and spaces. Supposedly, they stand out due to their actions, thus the term (There are variations of this term that includes slurs, so be aware).

If someone is vocal and open about some shady shit, especially something illegal, on Twitter or other parts about the internet, they will be called a “glowie” or “hello, Mr. ATF agent” etc Like if your first post somewhere is “Hey guys, I’m new here and am just like you. How do I do this illegal thing?” they would get that label.

I think this guy was just a right wing terrorists, but others will say he was FBI or CIA and encouraging people to riot and go into the Capital so they could later entrap them and charge them with crimes.

7 Likes

TIL. I don’t keep up to date on my batshit right wing conspiracy Q-Vocabulary, apparently.

12 Likes

I do believe the right-wingers have a word for this sort of guy.

“tourist”?

5 Likes

Traitor.

To MAGAs he is a traitor because he co-operated with the authorities after he was arrested.

To everyone else, he is a traitor because he tried to overthrow the government.

8 Likes

So “State’s witness”

2 Likes

Much like a “perjury trap”, you can’t be caught by such things if you are honest, law abiding and have a clue.

5 Likes

“In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial…” Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

1 Like

He and his lawyers were fine with the proceedings being sealed.

The lawyers arguing for unsealing the proceedings were acting on behalf of a coalition of media outlets. The application was opposed by the prosecutor and the defense attorney.

Part of his deal with the prosecution was for his trial and sentencing not to be public. His choice.

APs reporting is admittedly not the clearest on this story.

He did do time and he’s already out again. And yes, the fact that he was convicted and went to prison was supposed to be sealed. Now it isn’t.

7 Likes

Kinda hope fascists haven’t repurposed quisling for themselves…

2 Likes

Patroit or false flag, i suppose

1 Like