Leader of Oath Keepers charged with seditious conspiracy

Originally published at: Leader of Oath Keepers charged with seditious conspiracy | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

40 Likes

Having fun now, asking for our Democracy…

tumblr_d6526c00d14c7564dd2b694a52a552f8_f21fae64_400

35 Likes

Lock them up.

19 Likes

The Oat Eaters need some quality Atkins time.

9 Likes

There it is: the words sedition and conspiracy are officially on the record. Let’s see what happens next - I expect a lot of hissy fits.

37 Likes

There seems to be a direct correlation between how obsessed a right-wing group is with loyalty to the country and “the constitution” (even if it is a fictional version unrecognizable to constitutional scholars - or anyone who has read the document), and how likely they’ve been to commit actual sedition in the last few years. Not surprising, as their idea of “the country” is really “Christian white-supremacy.”

34 Likes

The ten far-right extremists who were instructed by Rhodes: “Oh. Now we know what that ouroboros thingy means. Duuuuhhh!”

12 Likes

Now do Ted Cruz and Roger Stone next. BOTH of them big fans of the O-keepers.

24 Likes

I’m predicting they will try the “I’m not seditious, Joe Biden is the seditious one” line of defense by trotting out all “the election was stolen” stuff that’s already been thrown out of court. “We are patriots trying to defend our country against REAL sedition!”

20 Likes

It’s the identical goal of the gQp, just saying.

Lock ‘em all up.

13 Likes

Surely this will result in them reveling even higher-ups . . . nope, can’t keep a straight face.

Sigh. They’ll devotedly refrain from naming names, deny everything, knowing in their heart of hearts that their Savior, on the advent of his third elected term of office will pardon them as he restores the country to its former, lost glory.

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.
Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

18 Likes

He was arrested at home. If only he had some way of resisting government tyranny, besides all those guns, of course.

21 Likes

I hope they do. Even Trump-appointed judges won’t rule in their favor when they make arguments that are irrelevant to the charges.

18 Likes

This is one of those moments in history where you hope that however slowly, the wheels of justice will grind exceedingly fine.

25 Likes

Looks like he’s wearing at least 3.

18 Likes

Oh, my thoughts are not about those who are currently charged. I expect powerful members of the GOP are going to stay very silent (so as not to be caught anywhere near any conspiracy charges), but are going to be putting SERIOUS pressure on Junior Members of the GOP to make noise about this, but leaving them hung out to dry if the public doesn’t bite.

11 Likes

Yeah, the previous mantra from the right was, “if it was an insurrection, why hasn’t anyone been charged with treason?”

They don’t care what the specific words means. It’s a mirror of the “there’s no collusion because collusion isn’t a legal charge.”

17 Likes

Who knows, the government might not repeat the mistakes following the Beer Hall Putsch after all. Now we need to see convictions, decades-long sentences, and a precedent set for going after the rest of the fascist insurrectionists.

32 Likes

I remember reading at the time of the insurrection that seditious conspiracy is THE big charge, the one that carries the severest penalties. I’m going to go back and revisit what they are, I believe a 20 year sentence was mentioned.

13 Likes