At sentencing, a Capitol rioter offered up a laundry list of conspiracy theories

Originally published at: At sentencing, a Capitol rioter offered up a laundry list of conspiracy theories | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Well . . . Trump did still represent the US government at that point, so in a way he’s right.

26 Likes

That’s a harsh sentence for a tourist visit. Damn those woke judges. /s

22 Likes

What, no Elders of Zion? No conspiracist laundry list is complete without them. Perhaps we should just assume they’re there now, given how every nutty conspiracy theory always ends there.

23 Likes

Normally I’d say “why even have professionals on probation or parole boards if you’re just going to ignore their recommendations anyway” but in this case the defendant is clearly unrepentant for his actions so a little extra time sounds like a fine idea.

20 Likes

I’d love to see the place where he does his laundry. From a distance.

7 Likes

Stabthru GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

15 Likes

Is it sad that this guy likely believes a lot of this? I’m happy for a conviction, but remain bleakly empty regarding how closely the right wing apparatus impacts so many people’s beliefs. Reagan and Gingrich seem so quaint now.

9 Likes

You mean before or after the sentencing?

14 Likes

No. No they don’t.

15 Likes

And that’s when the Reds will get him.

8 Likes

Happily, the restorative effects of the enlightened US prison system will rehabilitate him, and he will emerge in five years time a well-balanced and educated citizen who no longer believes any of this crazy stuff, fully ready to contribute to society in a new and useful way.

18 Likes

I will never, ever, understand how anyone would listen to Trump and take him seriously. He was a joke my entire life and was a punchline all the time.

It’d be like me fully committing to a space program led and entirely designed by William Shatner.

20 Likes

A-clockwork-orange GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

16 Likes

Eh, probably a mistranslation of the legal arcana.

When defendants are sentenced in federal court, their sentence is largely guided by the “Sentencing Guidelines”

https://www.ussc.gov/guidelines

But variances and departures from the guidelines are occasionally permitted, as long as it’s under the maximum penalty. 18 U.S. Code § 111 calls for a maximum of 8 years in prison, or twenty years if a deadly weapon is involved.

5 Likes

pretty sure this is the prison system they advocated for and wanted to toughen. and like a leopard eating his face, the traitor gets to visit his creation.

6 Likes

“When I lobbied my representatives to ensure that the face-eating factory would receive all the funding it needed to guarantee a constant supply of the very freshest and hungriest leopards, I certainly didn’t imagine that one day I would be lying face-up on the conveyor belt waiting my turn. Switch it off! Switch it off!”

16 Likes

Not showing remorse at your sentencing shows just how deluded he was. “Please Judge - can you give me a longer sentence?”

10 Likes

Since this was the sentencing hearing, did he not use all of these defenses along with supply the proof to back them up beyond just “I believe” during the actual trial prior to being convicted?

3 Likes

/SSSSSSS

Just adding this on.

9 Likes