Athletes at the Tokyo Olympics will sleep on cardboard beds

The smarter athletes will probably put the mattress on the floor before starting to do things that could jeopardise the structural integrity of the cardboard bed. Why risk embarrassment having to explain why the bed is broken? The floor will hopefully not be cardboard.

8 Likes

A solution for what problem?

Materials testing is arguably loaded with terms and apparatus that wouldn’t sound at all out of place in a catalog of some of the more…niche and/or technically demanding… activities.

Just try to explain why there’s a “Split-Hopkinson pressure bar” and a “Berkovich tip” on your expense report; or avoid awkward staring if your discussion of three vs. four point flexural tests, or the Palmquist method and the sessile drop technique, gets a little too audible for the venue…

4 Likes

Thread:

:rofl:

But seriously, though, good questions.

7 Likes

Can you decontaminate cardboard?

1 Like

Not really in Japan, though. If you’re someone in need in Japan then likely you don’t have the space for a bed (as opposed to a futon you can roll up and put away) or a bed is your least concern (because you already have futons). Same issue with wooden beds.

Certainly in a country where beds aren’t that much of a thing (and wood is expensive) it seems a lot less wasteful to have beds that are flimsier than usual but easily recycleable for people who are going to use them only for a few weeks, than to produce hundreds of sturdy beds that you’ll have trouble putting to use after the Olympics. I’m pretty sure the athletes who want to have vigorous sex will find a way to get around this issue…

3 Likes

BBC:

The beds will be 2.10 metres long and the manufacturers say they will be able to support a weight of about 200kg, which is more than any athlete weighed at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

2 Likes

I think by recycled they mean the beds will be instagrammed around how to crash without having to refold your bed and understand whatever joinery is used. I would expect there to be pulp and the top mattress thing and a company naming themselves ProCrustes ready to make portable shrines after the athletes leave.

3 Likes

Recycling is one of the themes of the Tokyo Olympics, even the medals are made from reclaimed precious metals.

4 Likes

Depends.

1 Like

I don’t know how they could not be. A bunch of young, hot, fit men and women who very likely have no time for romantic attachments at home. The sexy times at the Olympics are always a recurring story.

3 Likes

Weight is one thing, but what about momentum and kinetic energy?

4 Likes

Unfortunately many people sleep every night on cardboard beds on the streets of the world.

4 Likes

Boxes? They have Boxes? Shear luxury. In my day we didn’t have boxes we had box springs on the floor.
And we liked it.

3 Likes

Japan just discovered Ikea?

3 Likes

Actually most so called box springs these days are just a piece of cardboard over a wood frame. These cardboard beds would be stronger perhaps!

NSFW video from The Onion:

5 Likes

Yes thats probably a better approach.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.