Athletes at the Tokyo Olympics will sleep on cardboard beds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/10/athletes-at-the-tokyo-olympics.html

4 Likes

Saying that they will hold up to 200kg doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. Two athletes can exceed that easily, especially if they are weightlifters engaged in vigorous romantic activities.

Also, how shitty do you have to make a wooden bed before it will collapse from just jumping on it?

12 Likes

Well, cardboard bed frames with mattress on them. They aren’t sleeping directly on cardboard. This does seem potentially better from an environmental standpoint.

8 Likes

something something clean and jerk…

17 Likes

Yep. And from what I’ve heard, Olympic village is sexy time city. Will be interesting to see how the beds hold up. It’s a cool idea.

16 Likes

I recall a story before the London Olympics about how many hundreds of rubbers were given away. I don’t recall if there was an official condom sponsor. I expect there was.

Not an Oly Lifter, but the mountain comes very close to the limit of those frames.

4 Likes

And Olympic villages are famous for a lot of those activities going on. Getting some weightlifting couples to stress-test the beds might actually be a good idea.

10 Likes

Why do the beds need to be recycled after the Olympics? Can’t they just use normal beds, sanitize them, and donate them to charity? (Or even sell the beds. I bet a charity auction for “The bed Usain Bolt slept on” would raise a decent amount).

5 Likes

My guess is previous experience from other olympics and not reconsidering.
Edit: post Vancouver Olympics they were selling off all sorts of stuff - I think there is probably some knowledge of what stuff sold in the past and what did not.

The article does not say how long they are. That could be an issue.

3 Likes

It’s a step up from the Sochi Olympics where it seemed like entire hotels were made of cardboard.

10 Likes

Sleep tight, don’t let the cardboard bite.

5 Likes

I believe that would rather be, “The two beds,placed end-to-end, that Usain Bolt slept on” . Apart from being too short, they look uncomfortable as well . And yeah, are they trying to curtail sex? I’ll bet the equally numerous non athlete participants will be better housed

2 Likes

I have read that old houses are not particularly prized in Japan. People tend to buy them for the land and then build their own new house. So maybe they just wouldn’t want a second hand bed if a perfectly good new one could be knocked up from cardboard.

5 Likes

Why can’t they just sleep on the floor like normal people?

14 Likes

That’s probably what they’ll end up doing after their cardboard bed has collapsed under them during a bout of vigorous nighttime “exercise”.

9 Likes

Or maybe the Japanese know what they are doing, and these cardboard beds are perfectly fit for purpose.

13 Likes

… There are four main styles of snatch used: squat snatch (or full snatch ), split snatch , power snatch , and muscle snatch .,

4 Likes

That was Durex that gave out the condoms in 2012, and they got in trouble for it since they didn’t go through the sponsorship channels. There’s some other more recent reports of condoms being provided to athletes, but no brands are specified, leading me to believe they’re not a sponsorship gift?

The Independent thoughtfully asked these pressing questions for us. “As long as they stick to just two people in the bed, they should be strong enough to support the load.”

8 Likes

Metal bed frames can also be recycled. Or donated to those in need.

3 Likes

“We’ve conducted experiments, like dropping weights on top of the beds,” an Airweave spokesperson told AFP

Uh, that’s not a great proxy for the kind of abuse a bed will endure when it’s being used for sex. The back and forth motion is where you collapse bed frames unless you can convince everybody to have sex standing upright in the bed.

Could be some amusing stories coming out of the Olympic village this year.

5 Likes