People stuck at Japan's Narita airport are sleeping in $70/night cardboard boxes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/people-stuck-at-japans-narit.html

3 Likes

At first I thought $70/night seemed kinda pricey, but then I thought about cleaning and disinfecting futons and that price is probably close to break even.

12 Likes

23 Likes

I would guess that each guest gets a new box. The price probably just covers the cost of purchasing the fancy cardboard for each person and recycling the used boxes.

3 Likes

Box, recycling, disposal of futon, blanket and pillow, plus snacks and drinks for 48 hours. If they include WiFi I’m in.

5 Likes

In that case, the boxes are smaller.

1 Like

Are these the cardboard box beds that would have been used for the Olympics?

4 Likes

Pricy, but seems reasonable all things considered. Better than trying to sleep on random chairs or the floor which is what would happen in the US.

5 Likes

As much as I’d like to return to Japan, I think I’ll skip it for the time being. Getting through Narita was slow and crowded enough the last time I was there.

1 Like

If each guest gets a new box, can you take the futon after the checkout?

Get some ear-plugs and an eye shield, and yeah…this beats a lot of camping trips I’ve been on.

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering. They look a little less sturdy, and the Olympic village ones didn’t have the partitions.
Just confirmed they aren’t the same. From a Forbe’s article:
The cardboard beds are smaller than the ones planned for the athlete village at the Tokyo Olympics, which will now be held in 2021.

1 Like

That’s why when I’m stuck at the airport overnight, I take an Uber to the local walmart parking lot and pay a nominal fee to stay in a zombie RV. Still way under $70/night. Capitalism, baby!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.