Atlanta school renames school after baseball Hall of Famer

Originally published at: Atlanta school renames school after baseball Hall of Famer | Boing Boing

10 Likes

benedict cumberbatch oh excellent news the best GIF by BBC

14 Likes

that headline though? i believe if you just said Hank Aaron instead of black baseball hall of famer people would get the point.

EDIT: hey you changed it! i think that’s better. thanks.

2 Likes

Incoming bill from Georgia Republicans to prevent school districts from renaming their schools in three, two, one…

“This is about the integrity of elections!”

“Renaming schools is about election integrity?”

“That’s our story and we’re going to stick to it.”

7 Likes

I know I shouldn’t be, but I am always shocked when there are these big places in the southern US that are named for prominent confederate/other racist people, especially hearing it happened well after.

I’ve been to England. There’s no George Washington Was A Jolly Good Guy Afterall Elementary that I noticed. Why must we name anything after our biggest losers?

4 Likes

Fixed that for you…

Also…

8 Likes

It’s been well-documented since Aaron’s death that he preferred his given name, Henry, and saw Hank as an infantilizing nickname imposed by white people, the equivalent of calling him ‘boy.’ With that in mind, it’s disappointing that they’re not using ‘Henry’ in the school name.

5 Likes

I live a block away from a street named after a notorious slaver and part of the family that enslaved Sojourner Truth. In New York.

And yes, there have been numerous attempts to get the name changed plus some, um, guerilla action on the subject.

2 Likes

which street is that?

1 Like

Hardenbergh. Unfortunately, they have a number of publicly owned things named after them.

https://sinclairnj.blogs.rutgers.edu/2017/06/rutgers-connection-to-sojourner-truth-the-hardenbergh-family/

1 Like

There had to be one

But we generally don’t name many schools in the UK after anyone other than saints and bishops.

4 Likes

My inner troublemaker wants to rename some place Clayton Bigsby.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.