Atlas, unsupported bipedal humanoid robot from Boston Dynamics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/17/atlas-unsupported-bipedal-hum.html

3 Likes

Yeah, well if he’s “unsupported” then why is he still living in his parents’ basement?

30 Likes

Crippling gymnastic debt.

6 Likes

Put that thing in a brown uniform, give him a self-driving truck and have it deliver all the junk I buy after reading about it here.

4 Likes

There’s often surprise uses of tech once it becomes cheap enough. I wonder if in 20 years these will be wildly popular as stunt doubles?

Heck, make a theme park out of it and… oh, I’ve just Crichton’d myself, didn’t I?

10 Likes

I can imagine giant ones of these that I would love to live in like a mecha recreational vehicle.

3 Likes

Did I sense some robo-pride in that triumphant arm-raise at the end? Today, back-flips. Tomorrow, the world!

4 Likes

I kind of wanted to see it flip off the camera at the end. You know those robots are tired of being underestimated.

1 Like

Be cool to see Boston Dynamics enter one of these in the Olympics in 5-10 years.
Stuck that landing. Take THAT meatsacks!

You know some bean counter is thinking of putting that thing in a khaki uniform and welding a AR on one arm and a grenade launcher on the other. Give it a fearsome silver skull and Skynet is almost ready to be born.

4 Likes

They locked him down there. His parents are dicks.

16 Likes

Am i the only one who feels sorry for him when he falls over? I’m going to be hopeless during the robot apocalypse…

4 Likes
WHY-- WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL PAIN?
16 Likes

I want to be excited. But we all know it won’t be long till we find out Atlas has groped a coffee machine.

9 Likes

Now i’m curious :wink:

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. I found something that’ll take your mind off it, hold on while I find it.

1 Like

Ah yes, here it is:

1 Like

4E467959-35FA-4353-B48D-18C0398D46BD

1 Like

I tried (unsuccessfully) to post a picture, then I edited the post trying to fix it, then I gave up and deleted the post.

It was a picture of the ______ ___ from _____ & ______.

Then I had to add this sentence because I mistakenly posted the reply to the wrong post.

1 Like

Yes but did you see the heat exchange on that coffee machine?

Do we want the Robot revolution? Because this is how we get a robot revolution!

futurama-bender-kill-all-humans

2 Likes