Attachments that give you an excuse to use mason jars

Available from Williams Sonoma: $29
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/mason-jar-cocktail-shaker/?pkey=cbar-cocktail-shaker&&cbar-cocktail-shaker

Non-Mason cocktail shaker from WS: $20.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-open-kitchen-cocktail-shaker/?pkey=cbar-cocktail-shaker&&cbar-cocktail-shaker

So having a time-tested purpose-built device costs a two-thirds the price as a shitty cobbled together version? We are doing everything wrong, you and I.

1 Like

This:

Plus this:

or this:

$3.67 - $16.20 for what professionals are actually using. Best, most efficient, easiest to store and clean, least likely to leak or break version out there. Cobbler/french shakers are mostly about looks.

And the more expensive option comes with an entire case of glasses.

2 Likes

mason jars a great for vacuum packing things. dry good last practically forever, and things like fresh herbs last for a month minimum in the fridge when vacuum sealed. also, apples and avocados don’t turn brown.

3 Likes

I’m well aware of that fact. I do a lot of canning. But they would make a TERRIBLE cocktail shaker. The shoulder, and even harder angle of the lid will create a spot that traps liquid. Leading to sloshing and spilling when you try to strain, and throwing drink volumes off. Cobbler and french shakers are prone to that to begin with. Make a mason jar into one and it you make it worse.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re not meant to pour the cocktail out after you shake it? Unscrew lid, and drink.

2 Likes

Attachments that give you an excuse to use mason jars

I already had excuses. Canning, pickling, and cooking meth storing hardware.

Why would you want to drink out of one? They’re heavy and the threads on the neck make you dribble. Wait… Are you a college student all out of dishes?

4 Likes

Well what’s the plan for strained drinks? Even for the occasional shaken drink that’s served on the rocks its best for quality and presentation’s sake to strain onto fresh ice. If’n you’re going to disassemble the shaker and use a cocktail shaker, what’s the point of a cobbler style shaker? You’ve just got a less convenient Boston at that point.

Its been quite the trend. Especially in hipstery restaurants, BBQ joints and the like. Its a terrible trend.

1 Like

my wife and I actually switched to using them as our glasses. Mostly because I can soups/sauces/stews for freezing in them daily and we use those things daily, which means there’s a constant rotation of jars on the counter. It was easier to just have 6 cases of mason jars in use at any given time and just use them for several purposes.

I will say I’ve used some of these novelty lids before and they are usually terrible.

2 Likes

Now you’re just being difficult. And waaaayyy too fancy.

Personally, I find drinking out of mason jars to a PITA. We have entirely too many of them, but they are used for the intended purpose only. Now, excuse me while I contemplate grabbing a production beer outta the beer fridge after beerthirty.

2 Likes

Presenting the kilner jar.

None of this ponsy screw top nonsense.

5 Likes

Or use a MAPP gas torch to make the hole in the first place.

1 Like

You guys better wear safety goggles if you are going to keep this up!

2 Likes

I wear safety glasses when I open a Mason jar of strawberry preserves! You should see the PPG I get out when I use the MAPP gas torch!

1 Like

I can’t even get MAPP gas any more. When this bottle wears out, I’ll be stuck with propane.

1 Like

That is truly sad. I feel for you. How on earth do people where you are from light charcoal grills? Candles?

1 Like
5 Likes

Well played!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.