Attack of the Tourons

“Finally! It’s about time somebody figured out what to do with them.”

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

You mean… the unspoilt sites the Taliban hasn’t already blown up?

9 Likes

“It is very ironic to see those videos on TikTok where there is a Taliban guide and Taliban official giving tickets to tourists to visit the [site of the] destruction of the Buddhas,” points out Dr Farkhondeh Akbari, whose family fled Afghanistan during the first Taliban regime in the 1990s.

“These are the people who destroyed the Buddhas.”

8 Likes

Can vouch.

Will also say the same for SFO (& for that matter the Central Coast). Went after Christmas one year & it seemed like we had the whole place to ourselves. It’s not like it’s much colder than in summer &, when I went, it happened to be sunnier.

That’s a nicer area than I’d remembered, & (for those who haven’t tried) using that alternate route to drive from D/FW to AUS or SAT is rather pretty (especially compared with taking I-35).

5 Likes

Man who lost flip flops in Death Valley hospitalized for burned feet

A tourist from Belgium had to be rescued by helicopter after suffering third-degree burns, the National Park Service said.

8 Likes

ah, yes… another mini season has kicked off in the keys with the usual chaos and destruction.

this shit happens every year.

i so hate this stupid promotion! it needs to end!

13 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Things i did not now, part eleven:

(TLDR: the Navajo nation closed access to sacred site Grand Falls because tourons)

10 Likes
9 Likes

News link in spanish, summary follows:

So nine dutch tourists between 18 and 21 years old decided that the room was too small and torn the wall between their two rooms (breaking the wall mounted TV in the process). Furthermore they obviously decided to leave without checking out. Police caught them trying to board a return plane, as if this would have magically voided the vandalism.

10 Likes

drodOG4f1SQw

4 Likes
7 Likes

It seems that some of the problem with crowding is, in effect, over successful branding. It’s not enough to visit a Greek island, you have to visit the Greek island. Rome is amazing, but you have to see the right parts of Rome. So instead of spreading out across the Greek islands or the city of Rome, people pile into the places they think they will get the most cred for visiting.

9 Likes

For sure, and it’s been that way for a long time. I remember the main early appeal of the Lonely Planet books being how well they described cool places that were off the beaten path. Until, of course, Lonely Planet books themselves became extremely popular.

13 Likes

Unfortunately, modern tourism is mostly relegated to “ticking checkboxes” and usually that means you’re going to visit the same things as everyone else. (unless is drinking tourism, as my last tourons probably engaged)

Now you have webpages with list of “hidden/secret places you really can’t miss!”

9 Likes