Attack of the Tourons

Obligatory

8 Likes

Police identified the suspect as a radical 40-year-old Jewish American tourist and said initial questioning suggested he smashed the statues because he considered them “to be idolatrous and contrary to the Torah.”
The man’s lawyer, Nick Kaufman, denied that he had acted out of religious fanaticism.

Ummm, maybe your idea of “religious fanaticism” is different, but it sounds like he said he acted out of religious fanaticism. Of course, there are those who would have it that only Muslims can act out of religious fanaticism, so I guess there is that…

8 Likes
5 Likes

Thank you - first time I’ve seen that one, and I am losing it at this quote:

“In a country with bears, cougars and Florida, the most dangerous animal of all is a 10 foot vegan with antlers”

:joy:

7 Likes

Not sure if this is the best place for this, so let me know if you’d like me to put it somewhere else…

5 Likes

Thanks for linking that, I think it fits well.

Aside from being a great discussion of the nasty underbelly of global tourism, it raises a great question: Can one even be a tourist without also being a touron?

(Odd moment at 10:55 or so. The static that blocks out some of what he says seems intentional. But I don’t get it…)

4 Likes

I think he used a swear, so he’s probably trying to avoid the algorithm’s punishment? But am not entirely sure…

4 Likes

Ah, that would make sense, but then, more than that seems to get cut. Weird moment in an otherwise impressive think piece.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I quite enjoy his channel. He’s got some very thoughtful videos on a variety of topics from an anarchist perspective.

4 Likes

Some dick(s) decided to scrape patterns on a thousands of years old passage tomb.

2 Likes

I think that’s such a good and challenging question. It’s also what I was thinking about after you posted the Jamaica Kincaid quote earlier:

Is there a difference between “tourist” and “visitor,” maybe? Or is that just a difference we want there to be if we don’t want to lump ourselves with the tourons? I don’t know.

4 Likes

angry comedy central GIF

2 Likes

4 Likes

Inadvertently anti-touronic behaviour?

Perhaps the tourists have clued into :iceland: 's Norse-god-worshipping plot to get all the sacrifices into the actual mouth of the volcano, ready to go for winter solstice celebrations… :thinking:

All our Irish mutants will be nodding in agreement… all our Irish American mutants will be feeling slightly attacked… :laughing: But it’s all in good fun!

7 Likes

Hilarious.

Perfect for the “White Culture” thread too.

Thanks, I have a few blithely white American friends to send that to (including one who actually says, “I’m not white, I’m Irish!”).

5 Likes

He’s always funny. When the American flag starts being imposed over the faces of the people he’s with… :laughing:

Oh! Will cross-post! Thanks!

Yeah, I get the impulse to do that… but it’s just… not cool. If even one was born in Ireland and is now an American citizen, white privilege applies here, even if it did not always apply the same historically. Sorry folks. Until we find a way to break the system of racism, that’s how things are…

7 Likes

Butbut, No Irish Need Apply signs! Mutter mutter…

6 Likes

Its the friendliest place in the world, as long as you’re open-carrying…a credit card. Tee hee!

5 Likes