Attempt to make Turkish coffee in tiny sauce pot ends in failure

I think bunkyboards point number 2 about crema creation is where the pot shape comes in. I use a stainless steel pot as well, no idea why I’ve never acquired a proper copper one in the past. I have been satisfied with the results.

I bring the coffee to a boil three times. The constriction towards the top does seem to have an effect you wouldn’t achieve with a plain saucepan.

1 Like

In general, I am with you and your argument. But, think about that many of these “confusions” where purposefully invented during times after wars where the lender language was the language of the enemies occupying the loaner-language country. These may not be confusions at all but taken opportunities to make fun of military occupants.

But, surely, “failed” only in the eyes of outsiders. Trumpistani (help me out here, is that their politically incorrect name?!) drink it with pleasure. If you want a recipe, I heard you start by replacing water with kool-aid.

1 Like

This is a pot. I was confused for many years when people talked about making coffee in one

1 Like

Maybe it’s Murad IV? He was famous for his coffee and wine bans (also opium and fortune telling). There were only 5 Mehmets (they are referred to as Mohammed by the Europeans).

This is why the recipe has been lost to the ages. The Trumpistani often misread the kool-aid ingredient as “librul tears”. Covfefe is indeed a rare pleasure.

2 Likes

Oh yes, we love the cats (and I think they love us back). Although, recently I’ve been seeing reports from birdwatching organizations that those same cats have been wreaking havoc on the local and migratory bird populations (Turkey being a major migratory route for birds and also having disproportional amount of endemic species to its surface area). So now I think they should have a small bell each on their collar to warn the birds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This could be possible. In that sort of case it seems like it might be possible to find etymological evidence – a contemporaneous record of a joke or a bit of propaganda ephemera or something.

1 Like

Just point a maser down the neck, hot coffee will ensue.

Reading long ago about the Eastern Roman Empire and how then-called Constantinople was the shipping gateway connecting the East to the West, it’d think it would explain why Istanbul has so many cats, they having gotten there via trading ships during the Age of Byzantium. Constantinople may have noticeably experienced hits to their bird populations even then (while caring for their cats as now)!

2 Likes

You’re right, I meant Mehmet IV

1 Like

The classic Exploding Moka Pot tends to have more explodey failure modes.

I haven’t made Turkish coffee in a while. What I use for a pitcher is the small milk-steaming pitcher from a previous espresso machine; it’s not perfect but it’s about the right size. My current stove is a smooth-top type rather than having distinct electric burner coils, and doesn’t deal with really small pots well (also a problem with the moka pot.)

You obviously aren’t a serious coffee drinker then…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.