Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

I know a lot of this material has been covered upthread, but… Trevor Noah says the words, and some of it = :fire: .

9 Likes

A student at South Carolina’s military college who faces criminal charges in the Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol is requesting permission to travel to Estonia for a three-week summer school trip that would include visits to U.S. and NATO government installations.

A lawyer for Elias Irizarry, 20, a sophomore at The Citadel who is from York County, has filed a motion in federal court asking U.S. Judge Tanya Chutkan to allow Irizarry to travel to Estonia’s capital, Tallinn, for a three-week program focusing on cybersecurity in the Baltic region and the Baltic states’ relationship to Russia.

16 Likes

The crazy thing is that the judge already allowed him to travel abroad to Germany for Christmas. I know that there is a presumption of innocence, but it sounds like this guy is dragging out the process so he can finish college without any real consequences. I think he believes that if he stalls the judicial process, he won’t ever have to face the fact that he did something wrong. I’m beginning to believe he may get away with it.

18 Likes

I don’t understand how someone can be a student at a military college, be part of an attack on the federal government, and not be thrown out of the school. If the Citadel doesn’t believe such actions break their code of ethics, what does that say about their military training program?

19 Likes

They’re following the traitorous traditions of the school.

“During the Civil War, the SCMA Corps of Cadets was organized into a military unit known as the Battalion of State Cadets which took part in nine engagements. In January 1861, Citadel Academy cadets manning a battery on Morris Island fired the first shots of the conflict when they shelled the Union steamship Star of the West which was attempting to resupply Fort Sumter.”

16 Likes
19 Likes

I hope they make Tromp sweat under a hot light bulb like the Repubs did to Hillary. Make that orange makeup run, like sad-clown mascara.

17 Likes

Gets pretty hot in June on Capital Hill.

Well, added humidity to the already hot air coming from chambers.

13 Likes
17 Likes

Might as well, Big Daddy Trump’s just gonna pardon us in 2024.

10 Likes

when trump dies, does his body - and i use that term loosely - get to lay in state? ( and will everything be covered in fake gold? shiver )

9 Likes

Wikipedia says:

“Except for Presidents and former Presidents, the honor is not automatic. Not all those entitled to the honor have it accepted by their survivors.”

Apparently, a plan outing a President’s funeral preferences is filed when they take office.

I’m sure that copious amounts of gold, tanks, fighter jet flybys and beauty pageant contestants are in his.

14 Likes

With all the money they are saving on the library they can go abit over the top on the funeral

12 Likes

It’ll be the best pyre ever! And I think the surviving adult family members have to throw themselves upon it. I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere.

17 Likes

I have ideas on how they can save money on his tomb.

12 Likes

So much spit to clean up after… :grimacing:

8 Likes

all i can think of now is lines of people yelling boo like that person in princess bride

8 Likes

the princess bride GIF

9 Likes

Well, since “lay” is a transitive verb, i certainly hope not!

/snarky pedantry

14 Likes

Oh God, it’s going to be like something out of Springtime for Hitler if there was a funeral scene in it. Minus the satire.

15 Likes