Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

The taint of love is sweet.

And it burns burns burns, the ring of fire.

11 Likes

Interestingly, at the moment, thereā€™s not a peep about any of this on the Fox News website nor the biggest conservative subs on Reddit.

edit ā€¦ 2+ hours later, still nothing.

11 Likes

And yet they are still lined up behind him. As long as he brings in the $$$$ they donā€™t care if he overturns democracy.

15 Likes

And pay the families that have filed suitā€¦, pronto!

11 Likes

No criminal plea deal would protect him from civil suits.

13 Likes

I think he is not at all understanding the concept of ā€œleader.ā€ He just described himself as ā€œfollower.ā€

14 Likes

Getting real tired of people holding back incriminating evidence for book sales.

18 Likes

If that had come out when the impeachment was happening- we wouldnā€™t be where we are today. At immediate risk of losing our democracy.

18 Likes

Thank U Reaction GIF by CBS

But these reporters care more about book sales than they do about democracy. Assholes.

17 Likes

Apparently, their employer does too. They were assigned to cover this & their employer sanctioned hiding critical information from the public for well over a year. While covering the story.

Journalistic ethics my ass.

18 Likes

Capitalism is simultaneously a political framework and a religion.

12 Likes
13 Likes

Masquerading as the ā€œway things are and always wereā€ā€¦

11 Likes
17 Likes
21 Likes

And yet Le Pen came awfully damn close to winning and got a bigger slice of the votes than last time.

People need to check that hubris that ā€œit canā€™t happen hereā€ and stop sneering at places where it nearly did. Thatā€™s how Trump won HERE and how Brexit happened, because far too many people thought it couldnā€™t happen here.

26 Likes

This, this, this, this, this, this and this.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Thereā€™s a really well written comment over on Reddit that sums up the text messages about the coupā€¦

Itā€™s interesting where peopleā€™s concerns are in their texts. Itā€™s not ā€œOMG, this whole scheme to overthrow the election and subvert constitutional self rule was a horrible idea, we were wrong and this has to stop.ā€ It was always ā€œGuys, I am worried, some parts of the coup arenā€™t going as planned, we need to back out of this and abort mission. This is going to fail and we have to get the train stopped before the legal consequences to ME are irreversible. Get me out of this.ā€

Thereā€™s not one single message that has been revealed yet where someone said ā€œthis is wrong and I canā€™t be part of it.ā€ Itā€™s ā€œthis doesnā€™t appear to be working and I donā€™t want to be associated with it any more. I can only afford to be part of it if it succeeds.ā€

Hereā€™s whatā€™s gradually being revealed:

• All the coup ingredients were in place. Step 1: The 7 states submitted their false electors, which itself was an astonishing accomplishment. Done.

• Step 2: Gather enough GOP votes in the house and senate to reject the state electors, and send the ballots back to the state legislators. Done.

• Step 3: Make sure the stateā€™s legislatures had the votes to flip their elections and certify the fake ballots. Done.

• Step 4: Get Pence on board. The sticking point was Pence, he seemed to be hesitant. Plan A was to talk him into it. Failed.

• Plan B, was to have an mob assault the Capitol, and put emotional pressure on Pence. The leaders never explicitly said they were threatening to take out Pence, but the chants of the mob made it clear that making Pence fear for his life was the next step. Failed.

• Plan C was to escalate the violence of the mob in the Capitol to the point where the Secret Service would feel compelled to evacuate him. This was only recently revealed. If the GOP cabal could get Pence away from the Capitol, the Senate could declare him absent and continue on with the vote.

About an hour into the attack it became clear that the Pence plan was not going to work. He wasnā€™t going to participate in the coup, and he sure as hell wasnā€™t going to get in the car. He would have had no way to know if the plan was to just drive around a while, or if he would end up disappearing forever, so he refused to get in the car. The Secret Service had to decide in that moment, whether to remove Pence by force or not. If they did and the coup failed, theyā€™d likely spend their lives in prison, so they folded. And that was the seminal moment, the last pivot. In that moment, the coup failed.

There was nothing left to do but back out. As word got out that Pence was still in the Capitol and that efforts to whisk him away failed, people gradually became aware that the plan failed. And so one by one, you see all the conspirators sending, in some form or another, their back-out messages to Meadows. Oh shit, itā€™s not working, we need to stop this.

And again, no one ever said ā€œThis is wrong, and I canā€™t be part of it.ā€ They were saying ā€œPence isnā€™t going to fold, the jig is up, and we have to abort.ā€

20 Likes
14 Likes