Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

The Secret Service said the messages were lost in a “device-replacement program”

what kind of device are we talking about here? a coup plot device?

or maybe, “that democracy of yours is a very fine political device. it’d be a shame if we had to replace it.”

12 Likes

Has anyone made a Praetorian Guard reference yet?

7 Likes

Those messages are absolutely on a server somewhere.

11 Likes
10 Likes
23 Likes

happy double dare GIF by Nickelodeon

16 Likes

i’m guessing rittenhouse holds workshops. :confused:

14 Likes

I am heartened by the increasing frequency I am seeing “insurrectionists” instead of “rioters.”

18 Likes

The Business Insider article went so far as to call it an “attempted coup”: “Trump supporters organized an attempted coup.” If only they had dropped the word “supporters,” or added “and his,” then we’d be onto something. Maybe next time.

10 Likes

It is absolutely the correct term to use.

That’s also precisely what it was.

12 Likes

It’s the term I always use.

4 Likes
10 Likes

So the ‘24 vote will basically be a national jury decision.

15 Likes

This is exactly what I was expecting from the former guy.

He’s broke.
He’s potentially facing criminal proceedings and perhaps prison.
He’s out of delicious delicious grifty resources.
He’s an attention-seeker.

He will absolutely run for U.S. president again.
He will likely be permitted to do so by the RNC, where performative cruelty and winning at all costs are by now standard operating procedure.

I simply cannot believe people who say “oh don’t worry, Trump will never get elected a second time, or run a second time for the U.S. presidency,” or “be president again” etc. Their voices are for me a redux of the 2015 run-up, when they assured me the former guy would never “win” or be POTUS.

Well, they were right about one thing:
the former guy did lose the popular vote in 2016.

15 Likes

this is the thing that gets me about this, that so few people in the leadership are willing to stand up to him. Cheney, Romney, Kinzinger, and their like-minded colleagues really do need to break off, and take some money/influence and voters with them. It won’t be enough to for them to win elections, but it will be enough to split the party, and throw more elections to the Democrats. If they are absolutely serious about dealing with this issue, they need to lead at least some republicans into the wilderness for a few election cycles to pull power away from the fascist wing. As long as they stay in the party, they’re dooming us all to being fucked over by them.

17 Likes

I remember when Michael Steele and Romney said all the right things, but nothing happened. All their talk about leaving the RNC or creating a new party turned out to be just that - talk. Maybe current office holders have decided there’s no real upside to that approach. The GQP folks will turn on them, they might be primaried and lose their positions, or those with the mob mentality might attack them (and their families) for being disloyal to their dear leader.

Aside from not wanting to lose power, profit, and prestige, there might be another reason why those “voices of reason” in the GOP have been silent lately. Remember when 45 (or members of his team) publicly called for material that could be used to blackmail folks in the GOP who wouldn’t fall in line? Maybe now they’ve got the goods. :woman_shrugging:t4:

13 Likes

Seriously, I wonder why all the “primaried” politicians haven’t gone off and founded their own party – are they being offered other jobs, or given any reason not to form a new, less Trumpy faction, or have they drunk so much of the kool-aide that they can no longer do anything but mindlessly accept their own defeat and genuflect whole-heartedly to the faction that unseated them.

3 Likes

16 Likes

Oh, you!

Megan Mullally Lol GIF by Will & Grace

9 Likes

Champagne for my real electors, real pain for my sham electors.

17 Likes