Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

One of the two grand juries known to be investigating the siege is focused on the events of January 6, during which thousands of pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol to stop Congress from certifying then-President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 election. The attack unfolded shortly after Trump held a rally in Washington, DC, calling for his supporters to “fight like hell” against Biden’s win.

The other grand jury is said to be zeroing in on a dubious scheme by a number of Trump-aligned lawyers to create false slates of electors who were pledged to Trump in seven battleground states that Biden carried in the election.

I don’t know how American grand juries work, and how they hook into the DoJ.

Getting busy.

11 Likes

According to the Constitution, any major crimes (murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage) have to have charges levied by indictment by a grand jury rather than just the prosecutor feeling like it that Tuesday. Once a grand jury is enpanelled, they aren’t limited to one indictment, and can indict for crimes outside of that limited range of severity. For instance, they might hear evidence about a murder that includes evidence of embezzlement by a different person. They can still indict the embezzler as well as the murderer.

18 Likes

1yhqu4

19 Likes

Lawyer up!

21 Likes

(Archived link)

13 Likes

He also said he carried an unstrung archery bow “to signify his peaceful intent.”

As opposed to…carrying nothing at all? :man_shrugging:

14 Likes
8 Likes

:thinking: Wonder what she’s wearing, 'cause I have a bell…

Embarrassed Shame GIF

…or maybe a group like Sir Robin’s men would be better. Just need some lyrics.

13 Likes

9 Likes

Renaissance Faire

Back in the mid-90s, I remember when MAGA/MTG-types (EDIT: “-to-be”) in Beaumont TX banned creative anachronists from having an event at a public school, due to suspicions about occultism or witchcraft. This lucky insurrectionist gets to have it both ways!

10 Likes
9 Likes

Sentenced to four years.

20 Likes
14 Likes
16 Likes

Popcorn GIF by WWE

18 Likes

Nice to see a cop who assaulted a capitol police officer facing the kind of prison time that another human being might face for assaulting a police officer.

19 Likes

Hasn’t he done enough damage already?

21 Likes

Nope, but maybe there WILL be consequences this time for his bullshit.

15 Likes
18 Likes

Wow.

I wonder if he will be in general population or if he’s going to be shipped to some friendlier prison where ex-cops are not [unduly] harassed by their fellow inmates.

11 Likes