Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

13 Likes
18 Likes

He’s trying to divide America into fascists and anti-fascists!

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

17 Likes

Kevin McCarthy accused Biden of trying to divide Americans.

Why can’t Biden be a unifying figure, like that guy who is still demanding that he be reinstated as President almost two years after the voters kicked him out of office?

20 Likes

Ugh. We’re not sending our best, that’s for sure!
It’s kind of nice to read that he got the head gash from “friendly fire” as it were. Serves him right.

Right? Seriously, anyone claiming that Biden is the “divisive” one is showing us exactly who they are. Smdh.

15 Likes

CxaAAuIWgAA4uWT

ETA: I feel the following is worth reposting…

14 Likes

:dart:

16 Likes

Oooh, I hope crikey can afford to carry through and come up with some juicy, juicy discovery…

12 Likes

Flushing

Never know what you might scare out of the brush.

CNN — Within a week of the FBI search of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows handed over texts and emails to the National Archives that he had not previously turned over from his time in the administration, sources familiar with the matter tell CNN.

18 Likes
21 Likes

Hmm. I wonder if Hitler and his cronies and minions were under investigation and often being thrown in prison 20 months later.

I mean, the prosecution are frustratingly slow, but I’m not content with the implication there that Trump will follow Hitler by rising again and completing his fascist takeover because no one’s doing anything effective to stop it from happening.

14 Likes

I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about then…

7 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Surely there’s a middle ground between “Meh, there’s nothing to worry about” and “Strap in, folks, here comes Hitler 2.0!”

14 Likes

my two cents: the differences do seem useful to point out, as does still being worried

reminding people that just because someone failed once doesn’t mean they - or a coconspirator - won’t try again, so keeping up the current pressure is good. we could be on a good path, we ( and the powers that be ) just have to stick with it

12 Likes

Two responses come to mind: “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme”, and “Do you want Hitlers? Because that’s how you get Hitlers.”

7 Likes

Okay. I’m sure Hitler 2.0 is coming then. . .

3 Likes

Is it inevitable? Christ no. But it’s not impossible.

I thought the whole point of talking about the possibility was to stop it becoming reality.

We want it to be a self-refuting prophecy.

6 Likes

I don’t know what a self-refuting prophecy is, but I agree with the rest of what you wrote, and I suspect we’re on the same page.

I’m just saying that I find Andrea Junker’s parallel overstated, a false equivalence.

Maybe after all though, it is the kind of alarming message that we should propagate to keep up the pressure on Merrick Garland and Co. to pursue Trump the Rat and all of his fellow vermin all the way into prison cells.

6 Likes
21 Likes

From what I see and understand, parallels between the two can be made.
History is not a science and it is not possible to get a 1-to-1 perfect correspondence.

I agree.

My late mother grew up under Hitler, in Germany.
She was 14 in Germany when World War II ended.

She would often say that “no one knew” the extent of Hitler’s real evil [especially re his actions and those of his enablers], and that “no one” in her large-ish Bavarian town expected Hitler to come into power as he did.

(Of course lots of people knew, they just lied about it, were complicit, covered up, obfuscated, enabled, and one can surely imagine that they didn’t tell their kids about it.)

That’s just one person’s viewpoint, I know.
But.
I think that conducive conditions are sometimes not really recognized for what they were or are until after the fact, confirmation biases notwithstanding.

So, given my family’s history, I admit to a personal twitchiness when I see the many eerie parallels between January 6 in DC and a much-studied beer hall putsch.

Once a catastrophe like World War II slips from living [human] memory, institutional memory is simply not enough to hold back the tide of bad faith actors.

That’s why history “rhymes” and has a cyclical nature as generations die out in cultures where teaching terrifying, brutal “signs and portents to watch out for” is not made a priority, and whichever generations still alive, ignorant and perhaps lacking in first-hand experiences of the horrors of fascism etc. then get to learn our species’ awful history again.

“Never again, never forget” should be the byword of every human on this planet.

available here also

21 Likes