Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

I’m sure he just wanted to wish the new President and it wasn’t in any way going to be a call for all out insurrection.

17 Likes

That’s like the dog that didn’t bark: the absence proves they knew crimes were being committed and they didn’t want to be obvious accessories.

15 Likes

I’m now wondering how long these anti-Murdoch tweets will be allowed to stay up. I’m assuming this didn’t stay for very long:

15 Likes

Justice Department prosecutor Conor Mulroe asked a government witness, FBI Special Agent Peter Dubrowski, how common it is for law enforcement to disclose internal information in that fashion.

“I’ve never heard of it,” Dubrowski said.

That also happened in the Ottawa “Freedom Convoy”. Coincidence? :thinking:

20 Likes

It’s fitting that this should go into this thread

11 Likes
17 Likes

McCarthy giving 40,000 hrs of Jan. 6 tape to a pro-Putin journalist is an astounding ethical collapse.

That’s McCarthy for ya…

14 Likes

On an interesting note, we’ll get a new definition of McCarthyism that might supplant Tail Gunner Joe (who was also credibly accused of falsifying his resume).

14 Likes
11 Likes

Here’s the local coverage on that…

11 Likes

AK State Rep David Eastman continues to be a dick. Eliminationist rhetoric? No, it’s just what people I hang out with are saying!

Still lots of crickets on the R side of the aisle - glad they put him on the judiciary committee!

Rep. Eastman sparks outrage after asking about the potential economic benefits of the deaths of abused Alaska children (adn.com)

11 Likes

Shocked Horror GIF by Harlem

What Is This Wtf GIF

14 Likes

Loose lips sink ships people. JFC keep your mouth shut.

11 Likes

Can we run the numbers on how much we might save if he expires?

12 Likes

And an attempt to censure today -
Matt Acuña Buxton on Twitter: “Rep. Andrew Gray, whose child falls into the category of children that Rep. David Eastman wondered would be a “benefit to society” if they were killed by abuse, has called for Rep. Eastman to be censured. “He has shown Alaska who he is.” #akleg https://t.co/qMSJhtURYc” / Twitter

ETA: and they censure him in short order:

14 Likes
14 Likes
16 Likes

I realize this post could just as easily go here (locked for now):
https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/jan-6-hearings-megathread/223619/666

but I can’t stop thinking that now the term “attempted coup” (the title of this thread here) is now a kind of endangered species.

McCarthy has basically provided a map of the security practices of the U.S. Capitol Police. I can only imagine that entombed in the massive footage dump is information about locations of safe rooms, emergency protocols, etc.

Needless to say, Democrats are howling over the release of the January 6 footage, saying it risks Congress’s safety.

“The apparent transfer of video footage represents an egregious security breach that endangers the hardworking women and men of the United States Capitol Police, who valiantly defended our democracy with their lives at risk on that fateful day,” leader of the House Democrats Hakeem Jeffries wrote in a letter to colleagues earlier this week.

He noted that the January 6 committee had access to the footage McCarthy released, and was “able to diligently review (it)… with numerous protocols in place to protect the safety of the Members, police officers and staff who were targeted during the violent insurrection. There is no indication that these same precautionary measures have been taken in connection with the transmission of the video footage at issue. Unfortunately, the apparent disclosure of sensitive video material is yet another example of the grave threat to the security of the American people represented by the extreme MAGA Republican majority.”

Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer said much the same in his letter to colleagues yesterday. “The speaker is needlessly exposing the Capitol complex to one of the worst security risks since 9/11,” he wrote. He said the footage shows where cameras are located in the Capitol and other details of the complex’s security arrangements.

“Giving someone as disingenuous as Tucker Carlson exclusive access to this type of sensitive information is a grave mistake by Speaker McCarthy that will only embolden supporters of the Big Lie and weaken faith in our democracy,” Schumer said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/23/politics/mccarthy-january-6-footage/index.html

What this traitor has “promised” is AFAICT critical information needed for a second fucking putsch.

Buckle up, y’all.

16 Likes

There’s no goddamn reason that Merrick Garland couldn’t have moved this forcefully years ago. Except that he was worried about not getting invited to villager dinner parties.

15 Likes

I misread the above as “villager Donner parties.” Still works.

15 Likes