Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

““I do think that [Attorney General] Merrick Garland did not proceed as fast as he might have,” Tribe said on MSNBC on Tuesday evening.

As a result, the case against Trump over his actions leading up to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol could drag on into the next presidency.

“If the next presidency is held either by Donald Trump or by one of his acolytes or by virtually any Republican, there is the horrible prospect that this will all be wiped away,” Tribe said. “And that it will be relegated to a kind of a historic footnote.””

Yeah, we all know. Garland was one of his students.

7 Likes

By basing charges on Trump’s actions to overturn the election rather than his words on Jan. 6 and his continuing false assertions about the elections, Special Counsel Jack Smith also undermines Trump’s claim that he was merely exercising his First Amendment rights.

Annnd all of trump’s henchmen are crying about free speech this morning.

The indictment skillfully counters this defense by distinguishing between Trump’s legal right to free speech versus his illegal actions.

8 Likes

An advice of counsel defense would also require waiver of the attorney client privilege. Not only would he be putting his communications with counsel at issue, he would essentially be admitting the crime-fraud exception to the privilege should apply. Certainly Judge Chutkan should have no difficulty finding such exception as happened with Eastman.

So, here’s hoping his stupid attorneys try this defense!

7 Likes

Ha! There’s a Russian connection! /s/h

5 Likes

He didn’t do it

Signed, Epshteyn’s Mother.

5 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

10 Likes

Welcome Back Kotter Smiling GIF - Welcome Back Kotter Smiling Me Tv - Discover & Share GIFs

10 Likes
2 Likes
11 Likes

“[W]hat we want is a just trial, not simply a speedy trial,” Trump lawyer John Lauro told NPR

The last thing he wants is a just trial. He’d be in jail and stripped of all his money in no time flat.

15 Likes

(NY Times reprint)

I hope they realize that the main guy who is charged is NOT a rational actor plus he’s quite self centered so he will never play along with an prisoner’s dilemma/nash equilibrium situation. Better for them to throw him under the bus because he would never even consider sticking by their side.

11 Likes

I don’t get how ANYONE believes he would be loyal at this point. I mean it’s been in the zeitgeist for so long.

ETA: JFC. That was 6 years ago. And it had to have been obvious well before that was made.

9 Likes

Snow plow barricade for trump’s DC court appearance…

8 Likes

How do they have that many snow plows there?

8 Likes

DC is high enough to get a decent amount of snow? I think that’s how many snow plows we have for the whole state of GA!

12 Likes

It used to snow here.

7 Likes

I think they have to keep access to the federal government open, so maybe that’s why.

I’ve been there during a storm and taxis were nonexistent.

9 Likes

“Storm”…Midwesterners laugh in the general direction of DC!

4 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that I’ve seen more snow fall in other places. But I figured that the good people of DC were collectively thinking, “Hell, no. Not gonna drive and risk my car.” It was spooky that everyone did the correct thing and stayed off the roads.

9 Likes

I’m hoping that Jack Smith is saving the best indictment for last.

9 Likes