Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

I keep repeating myself, but: Trump is the bus.

9 Likes
12 Likes

I’m kind of surprised his release didn’t even ban him from having guns, just illegal guns…which I think everyone is supposed to be banned from. The reason he couldn’t have firearms was a preexisting thing from having committed a robbery, and yet he still was working as a professional hunting guide.

Sounds like he really needed this coup to work out, because things were and are not working out for him under the current rule of law.

15 Likes

I know, I know, it is shocking that Trump administration officials refused to analyze intelligence reports suggesting that his followers were about to try to overturn the official vote counting. The thing that really does shock me is that these reports apparently were just ignored, and not shredded and burned. Of course, incompetency tends to be global rather than situational, so I guess we have that.

15 Likes

Trump’s actors were told to protect them, not guard against them.

I wonder what would have happened if there had been any anti-Trump protestors.

9 Likes

“Whatever means necessary” has a pretty fucking ominous ring to it.

8 Likes

But Senate Republicans have indicated they may not support the investigative panel, casting doubt on the legislation’s prospects after its likely House passage on Wednesday.

10 Likes

The usual Trump crime boss saying it without saying it.

I would have protected them with lock-up in protective custody for a couple days. “But boss, you said…”

eta:

8 Likes

I know dogs can be very emotive, but that makes me worry that dog’s been subjected to physical punishment.

6 Likes

But, but, but BENGHAZI!

F those fascist lying ass clowns.

13 Likes

At the very least it triggers me a bit when animals show submissive anxious stress behavior to an obviously displeased human and it is imagined to be an admission of guilt and responsibility because anthropomorphism.

I swear most people are not much more self-aware than their dogs.

12 Likes

Yes.

“Guilt”? Give me a break. That dog just knows its owner is displeased, and is hoping to avoid trouble.

8 Likes

Second, he claims that the January 6 investigation fails to appropriately emphasize the events he wishes to use as deflections. It “ignores the political violence that has struck American cities, a Republican Congressional baseball practice, and, most recently, the deadly attack on Capitol Police on April 2, 2021.”

It is true that this investigation of a violent insurrection by the president’s allies, intending to pressure Congress to overturn the election results and hand the sitting president an unelected second term, does not principally focus on other, different violent episodes. The September 11 Commission did not get into the Oklahoma City bombings or the invasion of Grenada.

6 Likes

“Although the proposal surrounds the seat of the US government with a wall, Hartl does not believe that fortification of democratic buildings will protect democracy.”

“I don’t think you can protect democracy with walls or architecture,” he said. “The only protection of democracy lies in social justice, fair living conditions, fair wages and a real social perspective for everybody!”

12 Likes
12 Likes

Where is your God now?

12 Likes

Tourorists.

15 Likes

with most repugs not wanting their complicity in the 1/6 insurrection to be exposed, I was surprised by the relative “defection” of my own repug rep (having ousted dem Murcasel-Powell in 2020) Carlos Gimenez, to be one of two, yes two(!) FL R reps to break rank and vote FOR the commission.
we’ll see how this plays out…
(of course both are freshman reps, having just seized their seats)

13 Likes

Hey, you know what is the best way not to have masses of evidence that you participated in a violent insurrection at the Capitol building? Don’t do it.

16 Likes

It is a little surprising that so few of the republicans have actually bought into the “It was all Antifa” narrative such that they would be rushing for the commission to vindicate themselves.

2 Likes