Attempting to create a media circus, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott actually helps some migrants

Fair. There aren’t really any leftist paradises to move to anyway. I just want the most vulnerable victims of the culture war to be given a pass on this nonsense. We can prepare refuges for those that need it at the same time as others advocate for change in the places that are fighting these backwards kinds of fights. And if we can convince some of these governors that they can own the libs by footing the bill, I call that a win.

1 Like

Then do what you can where you are to push for a more progressive agenda. Vote, encourage others to vote, give to candidates you believe in (both where you are, and in other places), donate to the Democratic party, if you can, volunteer to phone bank or help in other ways, talk with people around you about these issues, and try to make them see the danger.

But the truth is, if we give up the south, and let the millions of people who live here to their fates, everyone is fucked. No more America. We fight for it all, or we let them have it all.

10 Likes

When a house has a leaky roof and a crumbling foundation the options are to either move or repair the house*. Moving just leaves the problems to someone else, and for some isn’t a possibility even if they’d be better off.

*I’m not including “ignore the problems” in my metaphor because, while some residents might be fine, there are others who will, not metaphorically but actually, face death if we don’t fix our houses.

5 Likes

Yes to all. And meanwhile, let’s do some harm reduction and make a safe place for the vulnerable in places that will accept them. There aren’t only political solutions to these problems, and the political solutions might take generations. Immigrants can be helped NOW, partially by bringing them into accepting communities. Volunteering with and donating to groups helping refugees won’t have a political impact, but will help with people’s lives in way that will have a lasting impact. We can do both!

Okay, but that just can’t be our only strategy, as the game isn’t over yet. We’re still actively fighting this shit and we can win and we will. We have to. There isn’t any other choice.

3 Likes

Why do we do this to ourselves? We can do both! People can donate to political causes and help people at the same time. People can look for political solutions and humanitarian solutions at the same time. Protecting actual human lives doesn’t mean giving up a political fight, but whenever harm reduction is brought up, some of us will insist that we’re taking our eye off the ball.

Confused Harry Potter GIF

3 Likes

Or, if any of those folks needed an abortion and gets one upon arriving in DC…well, it would be some sweet, sweet justice to see Abbott sued based on his own fascist law.

6 Likes

I wish more people would get this. Absolutely, welcoming vulnerable people elsewhere is always a good thing. But fascists are not exactly known for being satisfied with what they have and resting content in their borders. They can’t. Letting them take anything is sacrificing people for nothing.

5 Likes

Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I mean, how’d that work out with Austria in the 30s.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.