Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at request of Donald Trump, forced out less than 24 hours after midterm elections

Trump’s got his eye on the future.

PeopleEater

10 Likes

They were also people who had some degree of knowledge, experience and a baseline level of competence in their position. People Trump calls “The Deep State” these days. He is at war with those who know what they are doing.

Hence a cabinet filled with:

1. Useless ne’er do wells failing upward who are grateful for any kind of authority (Perry, Carson, Mattis?, Pompeo…)
  2. Outright kleptocrats who can be kept loyal as long as they have opportunities for plunder. (Pruit, Mnuchin, Pai…)
  3. Evil bastards who love the opportunity to run amok (Miller, Bannon, Gorka, Nielsen)

Sessions was #3 with tendencies towards #1

18 Likes

Good. I’m glad. It’s going to make his fall faster and more painful.

2 Likes

Could there be a silver lining, that with no checks he goes undeniably too far and can be held accountable now that there’s a D House? Seems to me it’s when he’s been kept to his handler’s scripts that he’s appeared most competent for office, a low bar I know.

3 Likes

Fuck

us-flag-upside-down-370x229

Anybody?

12 Likes
6 Likes

Considering the 2-year-long shitstorm he’s gotten away with already I shudder to think of what “too far” would actually look like. I’m happy Dems won the house, but their ability to hold him accountable without cooperation from the Senate is very limited.

15 Likes

My opinion of Mueller is that he is a professional. This has been a long game for him, biding his time, building his case, watching what Trump does and says. While the investigation may be in jeopardy, it might also be that Mueller was ready for just this scenario, and has prepared something that will thwart Trump’s attempts to evade justice.

23 Likes

Yeah, Sessions was a racist asshole who was willing to use whatever power he had to enforce racist asshole policies. But he’s been in government long enough to know where the real limits are. So of course, Trump did not like that. Which means that whoever Trump wants to replace him with will be even worse.

Edit to add: now having flashbacks to when Sessions was first picked and Guiliani was passed over, and we were like ‘oh hey, he only picked the racist asshole instead of the fascist nutbag!’ Now Trump gets to correct that error.

10 Likes

Friday night news dump massacre

almost a guaranteed setup

he’s using the maximum time possible before new congress to get momentum

next two years are going to be INSANE, country is going to be at each others throats due to the ringleader at the top stirring it up all

9 Likes

Still, brace yourselves. Trump considers a phyrric victory as a victory, because his opponent got beat. He will burn down everything before he submits.

30 Likes

I should look it up but i’m feeling lazy right now, but i do believe he’s prepared for this since day one with NY taking over the investigation/prosecution should Mueller be removed from the picture.

10 Likes

Yes, I’d heard that too. But I’m wondering if there’s something else he has up his sleeve. There have been basically no leaks from the investigation, a lot of what the press learned was from proceedings in open court or from legal documents Mueller filed that were available to the public-- things he couldn’t keep under wraps. Remember: Manafort cooperating kind of came out of nowhere, Trump was praising him right up until the moment he turned.

10 Likes

ADIOS GRANDE MOFO!

something something something down here

6 Likes

I found it difficult to like your comment because it is all too probably true.

To quote Stuart Lee, “People say, “Did you see Stewart Lee?” “Yeah.” “Was it funny?” “No, but I agreed the fuck out of it.””

7 Likes

Trump sure is subtle.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t the pro forma sessions have to have been setup already? They’re already in recess, so I don’t think they can start the pro forma sessions now.
Wtf do I know, though.

My understanding is that AG appointments require Senate approval - even for interim posts. Was Whitaker ever previously confirmed for his position at DOJ? If not, the rightful successor should be Rosenstein.

Of course, when did Trump ever care about rules?

8 Likes

Pam Bondi is working on her media career, but her part-time job as Attorney General of Florida will be going away in January.

3 Likes

Maybe the press at today’s press conference shouldn’t have brought up the Mueller investigation quite so much, while Trump was otherwise so nicely distracted by other matters.

4 Likes