Audience interrupts Aussie comedian's Prince Philip routine to inform him he just died

Originally published at: Audience interrupts Aussie comedian's Prince Philip routine to inform him he just died | Boing Boing

8 Likes

You know how it ends. An oft-told anecdote (and the where-were-you-when-Kennedy-was-shot story to top them all) involves an oblivious Vaughn Meader slipping into a taxi cab at the Milwaukee airport at 1 p.m. on November 22, 1963. The taxi driver, recognizing Meader, asked him, “Did you hear about Kennedy in Dallas?” Meader, accustomed to fans pitching him jokes, gamely replied, “No, how does it go?”

The success that was built out the fact of John Kennedy’s very existence crumbled the instant the president died. Meader quickly and wisely retired his JFK impression. Booker burned all existing copies of the two First Family albums. And Lenny Bruce provided the perfect epitaph by opening his first performance after the Kennedy assassination with the line, “Man, is Vaughn Meader fucked!” The crowd reportedly exploded with laughter.

18 Likes

He missed the obvious “So you’re telling me she’s single now” joke.

16 Likes

Here’s something he can add to his routine.

5 Likes

8 Likes

No one wants to marry into that train wreck

5 Likes

Depends on the pre-nup. And conjugal expectations, I suppose.

3 Likes

That audience member for him REALLY fired up about Prince PaedoPhillip!

British roads are safe once more, from the Duke’s unlicensed Range Rover escapades!

4 Likes

As the events of his Philip’s life scrolled across the news the other day, I commented to my elderly father (who had wisely stopped driving when he knew it was unsafe) that Philip had still been driving at 97. “Yeah, but who’s brave enough to tell him he can’t?” my father quipped and sadly shook his head.

4 Likes

As part of our memorial BBQ yesterday, my neighbor brought out her tangible connection to the world’s oldest phone prank:

5 Likes

image image
(that is, two Zune)

3 Likes

Interestingly, you can listen to Vaughn Meader’s “First Family” album (like other comedians of his era, like Bob Newhart, having albums was like today’s Netflix specials) on Spotify. Some of the jokes still work.

2 Likes

I have that exact Zune. I still think it’s the most beautiful device I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.