AudioWow takes audio recording to new heights — in the size of a matchbox

Originally published at: AudioWow takes audio recording to new heights — in the size of a matchbox | Boing Boing

Looks like it did receive a CES Innovation Award, but in 2020 as the SabineTek MiniX: Innovation Award Honorees - CES 2021

What a nifty bug recorder. I can think of all sorts of nefarious interesting uses.

boasts a mic that your iPhone or Android can only dream of having.

The MEMS microphone in higher end Android and all iPhone devices is very good at what it does. There is a 100% likelihood that this gadget this size also has a type of MEMS microphone rather than the older electret microphone technology. I think for recording I prefer electret, where a peanut-sized microphones are not considered too large. A MEMS can be much thinner, but there are always trade offs.

A microphone that is good at its job will reject signals that are undesirable. Such as a phone rejecting background noise coming from angles not typical of a speaker. (not omnidirectional for that particular applicaiton)

A very old school suggestion, but I think a shotgun mic mounted on or near your camera might be the ticket for most outdoor podcasts. If you have a friend able to help you run the audio gear, then you can save a lot of headaches trying to get a gadget that does it all.

Most cheap clip on lavaliere/lapel omni mics are actually pretty good re audio quality, pay a little more money and you’re using the same tech most ‘talk shows’ use on hosts and guests - requires a cable to your device/camera.
The reverb demo sounded awful, but I guess bloggers on the go might use it.
For the same price pick up a used zoom or tascam and you’ll have better quality mics (Stereo), more sfx options including the crucial high pass filter and won’t be locked into a one trick ‘convenient’ device.

3 Likes

A classic case of being a, “Jack of all trades, master of none.”

2 Likes

Works well in a lot of cases, especially indoors. It can work well for interviews were the person you’re interviewing isn’t all that familiar with microphones. Lavalier microphones can be troublesome in the wind though. And in picking up traffic noise and every airplane that flies over.

2 Likes

I remember back in the early 90’s a college who mixed large musical theater productions said that these were the mics they hid in the performers hairpieces which were aimed down the nose and with some sort of compressor/gating magic were actually able to exclude footsteps and tap-shoes!

Have always thought that they are an often overlooked, good bang for the bucks mic, before you get into the condenser area!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.